Associate Engineer - Pivotal and Commercial Synthetics
Would you like to work with a diverse, highly motivated team of process science professionals to positively impact patients' lives? We are seeking an Associate Engineer in the Pivotal and Commercial Synthetic's department at Amgen.
The Associate Engineer will be responsible for supporting process development and technology transfer of Amgen's drug substance synthetics processes across all phases of development and commercialization. Chemical engineering fundamentals will be applied to generate experiments, data, models and understanding for organic chemistry unit operations in the development of processes that deliver meaningful therapeutics for our patients.
Domestic and International Travel: up to 20%
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Under supervision will execute experiments for process optimization and characterization.
- Scale up/down of synthetic active pharmaceutical ingredients in state-of-the-art facilities.
- Create models of multiple unit operations including reaction kinetics, distillation, extraction, crystallization, filtration and drying.
- Provide technical expertise and oversight of lab equipment and systems.
- Active involvement in production and development meetings to identify solutions to meet program timelines and resolve complex problems.
- Apply engineering principles and statistical analysis, including design of experiments, in-order to solve process issues and evaluate opportunities for process improvements.
- Communicate and collaborate with Process Chemistry, Analytical Sciences, and EH&S.
- Contribute to documents for process understanding, transfer, risk assessment, facility fit, and development/characterization.
Bachelor's degree or Bachelor's degree by August 2020
Associate's degree and 4 years of Engineering or Operations experience
High school diploma / GED and 6 years of Engineering or Operations experience
- Academic background in Chemical Engineering with strong knowledge or organic chemistry
- Lab experience with synthetic processes
- Basic understanding of cGMP/GLP requirements
- Experience building and utilizing first principle models (reaction kinetics, mass transfer, separations, distillations, isolations, drying, and hydrodynamics)
- Knowledge of analytical techniques and solid-state characterization
- Familiarity with statistical analysis/DoE
- Working knowledge of standard plant operations and safety practices
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong verbal communication and presentation skills
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.