Research Scientist or Senior Research Associate - Ott lab
Description: Research Scientist or Senior Research Associate , in vivo research
The Gladstone Institute of Virology is recruiting a diligent and motivated Senior Research Associate or Research Scientist to conduct small animal studies for the investigation of aerosol pathogens under biosafety level 3 (BSL3) biocontainment, such as with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the causative agent of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Design relevant animal research experiments and projects with internal and external collaborators for execution in the BSL3 lab
- BSL3-relevant research activities with small animal models to study virological diseases that may include management of colonies (including acquisition/breeding of animals, record keeping, genotyping), small animal surgeries for downstream analyses, processing tissues, harvesting and maintaining primary cell cultures, viral infections, drug administrations, among other tasks
- BSL3-relevant research activities in virology that may include expansion of viruses in cell lines, performing titrations and QC, infections, experimental perturbations, and preparation of samples (e.g. cell fixation) for downstream project-specific assays
- Routine activities in the BSL3 lab, implementation of biosafety, security, and common laboratory standard operating procedures and processes in accordance with state and federal regulations
- PhD (preferred) or BS/BA, MS/MA in Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biology, or related field
- 7+ years of related experience for individuals with a BS/BA
- 5+ years of related experience for individuals with a MS/MA
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2+ years of extensive hands-on experience with handling of and research activities in small animal models such as mice, rats, or hamsters
- 2+ years of experience performing experiments and training other individuals in BSL2 and/or BSL3 laboratories
- Outstanding communication skills, attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to work on several projects in parallel as part of a team
- PhD preferred
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, general molecular biology, and virology assays
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Be a part of big ideas and consider Gladstone. Your difference will make a difference in human health.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.