Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology
Pfenex Drug Discovery Team is seeking a highly motivated, talented, detail-oriented Scientist with hands-on in vivo Pharmacology and PK/PD experience to support novel target discovery and drug development.
Essential Duties and Primary Responsibilities
- Develop in vivo models for multiple indications including but not limited to cancer, hemolysis, inflammation, cardiovascular, and endocrine disease areas.
- Design, execute and analyze in vivo experiments to support novel therapy product development, test therapeutic hypotheses and build new mouse models and technology platforms for Pfenex’s target therapies.
- Conduct in vivo studies to evaluate pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, tolerability and mechanism of action of drug candidates.
- Provides expertise in multi-species PK study designs with a high understanding of species differences, dose routes and prediction of drug candidates using different scientific approaches.
- Perform drug administration (IP, SC and IV), bleeding, imaging and tissue collection.
- Culture primary and immortalized cells.
- Analyze blood and tissues using a battery of cell and molecular biology techniques (histology, flow cytometry, DNA/RNA/Protein, etc.)
- Analyzes data, keeps meticulous records and maintains notebooks in accordance of company guidelines
- Maintains laboratory equipment and performs general laboratory duties as required
- Prepares study reports and appropriate sections of the common technical documents for regulatory submissions and queries on development candidates.
- Potentially interacts with health authorities (e.g., FDA, etc.)
Job Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications
- DVM or PhD in Pharmacokinetics, pharmacology, or related field of Biomedical Sciences with a minimum of 3 years industry experience in large molecule/biologics drug development
- Exceptional non-PhDs with at least 7 years industry experience and demonstrated capabilities may also be considered
- Ability to develop focused in vivo strategies and utilize PK/PD/efficacy data to drive lead optimization & characterization as well as translational strategies to enable early clinical development.
- Strong animal handling skills and hands-on in vivo pharmacology skills, including preparation of test compounds, dosing (oral, IV, IP), blood and tissue collection for PK and PD biomarker analysis.
- Extensive surgical skill in rodents with more than one therapeutic area is a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with relevant PK/PD software applications, such as WinNonLin, is a desire.
- Hands-on histology experience is a plus.
- Proven track record of working with CROs and academic labs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and GraphPad Prism required.
- Excellent organizational skills, able to multi-task and excited for hand-on laboratory research.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be a team player and perform at a high level in a matrixed drug discovery environment.
- Level will be commensurate with experience.
- Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
- No agencies or phone calls please
- Pfenex celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship