Medical Director, TEPEZZA
Working at Horizon is more than a job - it's personal. For us, success is measured by the numbers that matter most - the number of lives we touch, the number we change and those we work tirelessly to help save. We're a team of agile, out-of-the-box thinkers who are inspired to do more because we know we're a part of something bigger. We strive to build meaningful careers at a company whose values we share because when we live up to our potential, we help others live up to theirs.
Reporting to Vice President, Medical Affairs, the Medical Director will provide medical/scientific strategic and operational expertise into the planning and execution of the medical support activities of Horizon compounds. He/she will provide medical input into the long-term vision for the Medical Affairs area to enable health care professionals and patients to receive appropriate medical information on Horizon products. He/she will be responsible for the successful execution of medical affairs programs and deliverables through partnership with the following functional areas: Clinical Development & Operations, Corporate Compliance, HEOR, and the Commercial organization. Forging a productive and compliant partnership with the Commercial organization will be absolutely essential.
- Partner with Senior Horizon Medical Affairs Management to advance corporate goals.
- Leverage clinical and therapeutic qualifications and experience to conceive, develop, and execute projects relevant to advancing the goals of the Medical Affairs Organization at Horizon.
- Provide therapeutic knowledge or expertise on business development projects and manage Medical Affairs transition process after deals completed.
- Communicate and partner with key external therapeutic experts (HCPs) to provide and support high level clinical education.
- Provide support to global sales team and customer base through effective resolution of medical and technical questions which cannot be answered by field service organization.
- Provide a medical perspective to clinical and regulatory organizations, provide subject matter expertise including the utilization of key clinical data and medical trends to effectively differentiate Horizon's products and services to marketing teams to develop appropriate collateral materials.
- Develop and support key clinical and medical affairs strategies in conjunction with commercial counterparts. Provide ongoing and interactive technical and medical expertise to executive on these strategies.
- Interact and present to government, regulatory, and other stakeholders to promote enhancement of the corporation's reputation.
- Demonstrate the required "intellectual horsepower" to be a credible expert and develop strong relationships with key opinion leaders, primary and specialty physicians, key professional societies and organizations.
- Provide expertise in the phase3b/4 development programs and lifecycle management activities for Horizon compounds within therapeutic area as well as business development opportunities.
- Develop publication plans utilizing internal and external data sources leveraging therapeutic knowledge and data analysis abilities.
- Deliver background scientific information and specific scientific project training to relevant internal stakeholders (sales, marketing, business development, field medical team, etc).
- Lead departmental initiatives regarding support systems and processes to facilitate appropriate conduct and documentation of ongoing project work.
- Attend and support external medical meetings and conferences.
- Partner with Horizon Compliance to ensure activities, programs and projects are compliant and consistent with company policies.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Education:
- Medical degree required (MD or ex-US equivalent)
- Relevant clinical therapeutic experience preferred; focus in Ophthalmology and or Immunology a plus
- 3+ years in Medical Affairs or Medical Affairs and Outcomes Research experience in a pharmaceutical environment preferred
- Knowledge of clinical trial development and direction preferred.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates strong presence and is a "self-starter"
- "Outside the box thinking"
- Understands his/her audience; available and able to engage people with varying degrees of scientific background in a meaningful and clear dialogue.
- Demonstrates ability to relate and work with a wide range of people to achieve results.
- Able to demonstrate problem solving and risk mitigation skills.
- Possess a professional, proactive demeanor.
- Personable, likeable, engaging style that encourages a high morale and teamwork.
- Performs well under pressure; able to maintain composure in challenging situations.
- Is able to address issues/concerns in a clear, well-informed manner that engages others in a thoughtful discourse; able to stand up in a polite way and make the case.
- Exhibits commercial curiosity when evaluating new approaches and solutions.
- Understands operations and can prioritize for growth.
- Demonstrates ability to evaluate information and data with a defined, studied process and report results in a thoughtful, organized manner.
- Willingness to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Ability to adapt easily to changing work environment; comfortable with ambiguity.
- Possesses a collaborative, results-driven style.
- Proven outside-the-box thinker and strategist who champions taking calculated risks and embraces new methodologies that drive innovation.
- Ability to motivate and provide leadership in a growing enterprise;
- Exhibits integrity, honesty and a sense of personal accountability.
- Possesses a well-cultivated self-awareness.
- Track record of managing conflict resolution with equanimity.
- Possesses strong listening skills; ability to create win/win solutions; good sense of humor; viewed by subordinates as tough but fair.
- Proficient in computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Up to 30% travel required, including quarterly national travel to company meetings
Horizon Core Values & Competencies:
- Manages Ambiguity
- Strategic Mindset
- Demonstrates Self-awareness
- Cultivates Innovation
- Develops Talent
- Drives Results
- Ensures Accountability
- Decision Quality
- Instills Trust
Horizon Therapeutics plc does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. It is our intention that all qualified applications are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. Any individual, who, because of a disability, needs accommodation or assistance in completing this application or at any time during the application process, should contact the Human Resources Department.