Director, Lead Discovery and Optimization
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
TITLE: Director in Leads Discovery and Optimization
LOCATION: Lawrenceville, NJ
JOB LEVEL: D8
Leads Discovery and Optimization group vision is to leverage innovative, high-performing technology solutions to enable progression of multi-modality portfolio across the therapeutic areas. We are seeking a highly motivated and innovative leader to head the Lead Discovery, small molecule high throughput screening team at Bristol-Myers Squibb, to impact the chemotype selection and hit assessment to drive the portfolio. This individual will lead a team that will develop high throughput assays for hit identification, hit triage and hit assessment, to impact the multi-modality portfolio progression. This candidate will be expected to lead a team of senior research investigators in a technology rich environment with particular emphasis on biochemistry, biophysics, enzyme kinetics and in vitro pharmacology to support drug discovery projects from hit identification to lead optimization. The candidate will closely partner with Oncology, Immunology, Cardiovascular and Fibrosis drug discovery teams to screen the BMS compound collection with a mission to discover and develop innovative pipelines. This leader will be expected to represent Leads Discovery and Optimization (LDO) capabilities to project teams across BMS sites as well as manage the portfolio needs.
The successful candidate will have:
- A significant track record of tangible deliverables in early drug discovery
- Advanced assay design and mechanistic enzymology knowledge are an absolute requirement.
- Solid experience in the application of modern automation, miniaturization, bioassay technology, and data analytics.
- Ability to work with leaders from all therapeutic areas to transition exploratory drug discovery programs to fully funded drug discovery programs.
- Strong track record for enhancing operational efficiency through impedance matched process design and delivering tangible impact to drug discovery.
- Experiences in multiple therapeutic areas including immunology, immuno-oncology, oncology, cardiovascular and fibrosis etc. will be plusExcellent coaching and mentoring skills for junior/senior investigators and strong and effective negotiation skills.
- Ability to execute deliverables with scientific rigor in a positive collaborative environment is essential.
- Experience working with chemistry leaders for compound collection enhancement and architecture.
- Demonstration of collaboration with high profile alliance partners and rapid deliverables for due diligence efforts.
- A Ph.D. in biological sciences or equivalent
- 15+ years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry supported by an appropriate publication record.
- A consistent track record of impact on drug discovery programs through the judicious use of science and technology.
- This candidate must demonstrate ability to drive and lead the initiatives across disciplines.
- He or she must have a track record in building strategy and expanding functional capability in today's dynamic and competitive environment.
- A communication style that will impart scientific credibility and create a strong positive image for LDO and BMS.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.