Scientist / Senior Scientist, Protein Process Development and Production
Pacific Biosciences is looking for a highly motivated, organized, and team-oriented Scientist or Senior Scientist to develop protein based products for the SMRT™ Sequencing system.
This position will be part of development and manufacturing team to assist commercialization of cutting edge third generation sequencing technology. They will be responsible for developing robust, efficient, and scalable purification processes for proteins products related to SMRT technology. They will be expected to provide technical leadership to ensure efficient and timely execution of strategic plans. The position will focus on process design, unit operation scale-up and apply rigorous scientific and engineering principles and approaches to all aspects of purification process development. Aside from the primary focus of reagent process development and manufacturing, they will interact with R&D team for product transfer activities.
- Design and execute purification strategies leading to effective scaled-up protein manufacturing processes
- Identify opportunities for process improvements, test and implement operational efficiency improvements
- Prepare internally project planning and technical reports for process development
- Author and develop production batch records for protein products
- Identify, design and develop analytical test methods for protein products
- Plan and execute development and validation of protein related assays
- Establish relationship between analytical specs and product performance, as well as physical specs and manufacturing capabilities.
- Plan, design and execute studies to improve robustness of manufacturing process
- Conduct and complete protein development builds and production builds
- Technical transfer from R&D
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- Advanced degree in Biochemistry, Protein Chemistry, Molecular Biology or related scientific discipline
- PhD with minimum 2 years or MSc with minimum 5 years’ experience in development of chromatography based purification processes in Life Sciences Industry
- Broad knowledge in biotech industry with understanding and experience in rational design of purification processes for recombinant proteins
- Experience working with affinity chromatography, IEX, HIC, and SEC, preferably for recombinant protein from bacterial expression system
- Substantial experience with automated chromatography stations such as AKTA FPLCs
- Good knowledge and experience in gene expression and bacteria fermentation
- Experience in development analytical test methods for characterization of proteins and enzymes including HPLC, enzyme kinetics, protein quantification, spectrophotometer, spectrofluorometer, SDS-PAGE
- A successful track record of developing and manufacturing protein based commercial products
- Purification process development experience in DNA binding or biotin binding proteins would be a plus
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Good knowledge of regulatory requirements and experience in manufacturing of protein products under ISO environment
- Familiar with PLM, ERP and MES management systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong collaborative and teamwork attributes
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.