Director, Medical Affairs Operations & Communications
This opportunity is with a growing global organization. The Director, Medical Affairs Operations & Communications will report to the VP, Head of Medical Affairs and will be responsible for leading and developing processes and programs that will drive the company’s rapid growth, including building out the publication and communication, strategic planning, resource management and execution of critical launch initiatives.
The Director, Medical Affairs Operations and Communications will work closely with colleagues in Medical Affairs, Clinical Development, Commercial, Marketing, and Regulatory to stay current with clinical trends as well as the needs of providers, patients and consumers and execute a variety of programs in the field. Responsibilities will include a mix of strategic planning and oversight of the tactical execution of the plans and projects. The ideal candidate should be a well-established pharmaceutical professional to organize and lead a “team” in a heavily matrixed environment and create innovative programs who will roll up their sleeves and participate in the execution of those plans.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the development and execution of the medical congress and advisory board strategy, publication strategy/planning, KOL identification and engagement plans, etc.
- Project management and process expertise to develop and execute the Medical Affairs Strategic Plans and ensure alignment across multiple stakeholders
- Provide leadership and support management of Medical Affairs projects and initiatives critical for launch, including, but not limited to, Insights Management, Data Generation, Data Dissemination, Stakeholder Engagement, and internal system and process improvements
- Strategic planning, management of resources, budget, milestones, and management of Medical Affairs initiatives and programs
- Drives the evolution and development of Medical Affairs project planning and monitoring tools
- Partners cross-functionally (Medical Affairs, Commercial, Business Development, Corporate Communications) to develop an effective communication and content plan to reach and engage the scientific community, advocacy organizations and other key external stakeholders through multiple channels, including traditional and digital
- Lead and manage patient and disease state advocacy efforts with established national organizations; Identify strategic sponsorships and long-term collaborations that can help address patient needs; Coordinate local patient advocacy activity with the Sales team.
- PharmD or PhD; MBA and / or advanced Life Sciences degree preferred
- 8+ years of related pharmaceutical Medical Affairs experience
- Experience developing and executing successful Medical Affairs programs
- The ideal candidate has a combination of small / start-up biopharmaceutical company experience as well as working at established biopharmaceutical companies
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Knowledge and experience with clinical drug development (Ph II-IV), Medical Affairs,
- Publications, Scientific Communication, Medical Information, and Field Medical
- Strong leadership skills, demonstrated project management ability, and a positive approach in managing staff, vendors, and project related issues
- Demonstrated leadership and excellent communication skills in a matrixed organization, able to motivate and inspire team members to high performance levels and the ability to influence non direct reports
- Strong technical skills with Word, PowerPoint, Excel and the development of Gantt charts
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective collaborative relationships with team members, management, and internal/external partners
- Superior communications skills including written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Operate with the utmost ethics and discretion, earning trust with peers, team, and entire staff
- A strong understanding of the global healthcare system, including the legal and regulatory environment with a commitment to compliance, scientific quality and integrity
- A confident leader with a demonstrated ability to challenge the status quo, bring new and diverse ideas and provide creative solutions to complex problems
- An entrepreneur, with a curiosity and passion for learning, growing and improving.
- High emotional intelligence
- Demonstrated ability to present complex issues to higher level management and contribute to high level presentations and discussions