Scientist, Downstream Development
Molecular Templates is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of differentiated, targeted, biologic therapeutics for cancer. We believe our proprietary biologic drug platform technology, referred to as engineered toxin bodies, or ETBs, provides a differentiated mechanism of action that may address some of the limitations associated with currently available cancer therapeutics. ETBs utilize a genetically engineered form of Shiga-like Toxin A subunit, or SLTA, a ribosome inactivating bacterial protein, that can be targeted to specifically destroy cancer cells. Additional information about Molecular Templates can be obtained at www.mtem.com.
Molecular Templates is seeking a highly-skilled and motivated professional to support downstream processing for manufacturing activities. This Scientist will be responsible for developing methods for manufacturing operations and production, including routine protein purification, equipment maintenance checks and calibration, media preparation, data management, and assist in review and development methods and procedures to control or modify the manufacturing process. This includes new product scale-up, purification, process optimization, technology transfer and process validation activities, as well as developing production procedures and product specifications. This position will require excellent technical, analytical and problem-solving skills, along with ability to operate independently on progressively more complex activities and projects.
Job Responsibilities will include:
- Develop methods for production and protein purification for downstream manufacturing activities. This includes, but not limited to buffer and solution preparation, various filtration methods, centrifugation, chromatography, column packing and packed bed qualification, various sterilization methods, vialing and labeling, process data recording and trending
- Conduct testing of new process formulas, technologies and products, including but not limited to new product scale-up, process optimization, limited characterization of protein products, impurities, and protein purification using common laboratory techniques, technology transfer, process validation activities and development of production procedures and product specifications
- Review and revise established protocols and SOPs related to drug development such as process development, data trending, and optimization of techniques. This may also include developing and optimizing assays, conducting limited literature search of research study protocols and reports, regulatory documents, and other potential resources
- Maintain knowledge of scientific trends industry processes through readings, conferences and seminars; review literature to advance manufacturing procedures and methods. Use professional concepts and company policies and procedures to solve a wide range of difficult problems in creative and practical ways
- Complete required documentation in an accurate and timely manner, adhering to written procedures and regulatory requirements
- Perform other duties and special projects, as needed
- MS degree plus 4+ years of relevant industry experience; or PhD plus 2+ years of relevant industry experience. Degree emphasis in Life Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry
- Demonstrated technical proficiency in protein purification
- Experience in developing and designing downstream processes, required
- Experience in biopharmaceutical industry, required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills with knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational, time management, and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to maintain highest standards of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to function independently and exercise good judgement, as well as provide thought leadership
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-growth work environment
- Ability to identify problems and solutions then take action to resolve
This position currently has no supervisory responsibilities. This position reports to Manager, Downstream Development.
Molecular Templates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers competitive salaries and benefits.
Molecular Templates Inc https://mtem.isolvedhire.com