Senior or Principal Scientist - Biology
Protego Biopharma is a fast-growing startup company focusing on R&D of therapeutics and diagnostics targeting protein folding diseases. We are seeking a highly motivated and goal-oriented biologist to join our team. This role provides scientific expert knowledge as well as technical expertise and leadership in design and execution of experiments in the areas of assay development, assay validation, protein chemistry, molecular and cell biology, and target validation. This role requires at least 50% of bench-level work. You will be a key member of the biology core team and work with both internal team and external collaborators. Ability to work in a team environment, attention to details, excellent record keeping, trouble shooting, and problem solving are essential. This is a full-time position in San Diego.
- Independently design and conduct hands-on experiments to achieve project goals and timeline.
- Lead studies in assay development, assay optimization and analytical validation according to regulatory guidelines on assay validation for drug development.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of experiments performed.
- Draft and/or revise protocols, standard operating procedures (SOPs), batch records, and reports.
- Communicate clearly to stakeholders through oral and written communications, lead and participate in scientific and technical meetings, and provide expert recommendations.
- Actively participate in scientific and technical innovations in the company.
- Supervise and mentor junior scientists in the company.
A PhD in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Bioengineering, or a related field, with 3-8 years of experience in pharma and biotech environment is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the job duties as listed above is acceptable.
- Prior experience in immunoassay development and validation is highly desirable.
- Extensive hands-on experience with modern biotechnology and techniques including protein biochemistry, molecular biology and cell biology is required.
- Staying fluent with recent developments in the regulatory guidance of assay validation for drug development and in-depth knowledge in applying such to fit-for-purpose assay validation are highly desirable.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and its application in assay validation is preferred.
- Familiarity of disease biology, target validation, and prior experience in drug discovery is highly desirable.
- Capable of evaluating and summarizing data using analytical methodologies, interpreting results, drawing conclusions and recommending options for future experiments to achieve project goals.
- Detail-oriented, eager to learn and continuously improve, and a dedication to quality.
- Effective and professional communication skills, written and oral, and aptitude for problem solving and technical writing.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player in a fast-paced team environment, meet deadlines and company objectives.
- Excellent computer skills, proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and data analysis and statistical software.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Protego is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
For submission, please send your resume and cover letter.