Global Category Sr Mgr
The Global Category Strategic Sourcing Senior Manager will report into the Operations Vertical Lead within Global Strategic Sourcing (GSS) and will be responsible for ~$500M spend within the Capital and Construction category. The Senior Manager will be accountable for developing and managing the overall sourcing strategy and supplier management processes for the category in collaboration with key business stakeholders within the Operations organization. The Senior Manager's role will focus on leading the strategy definition which will shape management of the category, with a focus on identifying productivity opportunities, speed to market, quality, and compliance.
- Drive the global roadmap for capital sourcing by identifying, evaluating, negotiating and integrating forecasted needs within the capital portfolio
- Develop strong, trust-based, mutually beneficial relationships with key internal stakeholders / groups and with key providers in current and future markets
- Act as a trusted business advisor, providing thought leadership and consistent customer service to Operations Engineering business partners
- Provide subject matter advice in regard to the external supply market to compliment to internal current and future business needs
- Collaborate with stakeholder business partners to produce sound and articulate business case recommendations
Delivering Value for Customers
- Act as an ambassador for the GSS function and be the key point of contact for the category
- Partner with key leaders within the Engineering function to drive improved relationships and communications with areas and teams that support Capital acquisitions
- Collaborate with Engineering Stakeholders in the identification, evaluation and qualification of new Suppliers and Service Providers to support the Capital portfolio
- Partner with the Engineering team to manage escalated supplier performance issues
- Partner with Engineering on the development of Supplier Relationship Management programs that will realize incremental value to the company
- Effectively drive cross-category collaboration where 'overlapping' stakeholder groups, geographic regions and / or requirements exist
- Respond and adapt to evolving and complex business needs, innovation trends and supply market dynamics
- Manage, minimize and mitigate supply/contractual/regulatory risk by leveraging other key Amgen functions where appropriate (Legal, Compliance, Data Privacy, Cybersecurity, Audit etc.)
- Lead complex RFPs including strong commercial negotiations, leading supplier evaluations and contractual negotiations in collaboration with stakeholders and business partners (Legal, Compliance, Audit, etc.)
Developing Category Strategies
- Partner with Engineering stakeholders to understand and develop long term capital forecasts that can be leveraged to develop and implement a multi-year category strategy for Capital Construction
- Lead business partner engagement for the category across multiple functional groups including ex-US regions
- Build a pipeline of value-adding category projects as the global lead in collaboration with relevant GSS regional / category peers and key Engineering stakeholders
- Bring and grow industry / business function-specific knowledge and experience
- Initiate / build industry and functional peer relationships bringing back best practice and innovation for the category
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
Master's degree and 4 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
Bachelor's degree and 6 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
- Category Experience
- Proven knowledge and experience in Capital Engineering, Construction and Equipment
- Experience in delivering projects for a Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology company
- Experience in interacting and collaborating with Project Management, Engineering, Project Estimating and Controls, Finance, Legal
- Understanding of planning, development and execution of Capital Projects
- Ample knowledge of the Capital Construction industry, supplier base, legal & regulatory environment
- Solid understanding of procurement / sourcing / category management methodology
- Experience and knowledge to develop and implement a successful category strategy
- Ability to drive value for customers by leveraging the right sourcing levers
- Strong negotiator with the ability to drive value for business partners and suppliers through strategic supplier agreements
- Track record in establishing strong Statements of Work / Service Level Agreements, and ensuring supplier performance
- Understands the Source to Pay processes including managing sourcing projects in Ariba (or equivalent e-sourcing tools), including the execution of online RFx and e-Auctions
- Ability to analyze spend data and present insights based on the needs of the audience
- Excellent project management and prioritization skills
- Can conform to shifting priorities and have ability to drive multiple simultaneous project implementations
- Proven ability to deliver complex multi-regional and/or global projects in a matrixed and global environment
- Advanced problem-solving & analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct benchmarking to address cost, quality, risk and innovation considerations
- Ability to lead teams in a matrix organization, across geographies enabling successful transition and operational change for the business
- Demonstrated track record of identifying root causes to issues and proactively problem solving complex organizational needs
- Excellent stakeholder engagement and soft skills
- Strong oral and written communication / presentation skills,
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholder groups
- Ability to influence and shape strategy with stakeholders at all levels including Amgen senior management
- Independent self-starter with ability to motivate others to accomplish ambiguous tasks
- Proficiency in MS Office tools, ERP systems etc.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 25%
- Broad knowledge of the market forces shaping Amgen's business context (e.g. supplier base, legal & regulatory environment, sources of competitive advantage)
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.