Senior Director, Pharmacology (Drug Discovery)
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated is seeking an exceptional drug discovery scientist to lead our Pharmacology department to drive the development and incorporation of modern pharmacology or new approaches. The department is comprised of approximately 15 staff who are responsible for the design, development and execution of in vitro and in vivo pharmacology assays to support progression, optimization and mechanism of action of human therapeutics.
The ideal candidate must possess leadership abilities to direct and manage a team of scientists, and coordinate activities across multiple drug discovery programs. The successful candidate will serve as a member of the senior research leadership team in our San Diego site. In addition, the candidate must work well in a matrix organization, make clear decisions in a fast-paced drug discovery environment and be highly proficient in both verbal and written communication to audiences with diverse scientific, professional and drug discovery backgrounds.
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or related field with, relevant -post-doctoral employment experience
- 12+ years of drug discovery experience with demonstrated excellence in early stage drug discovery and development
- Strong strategic scientific and technical leadership in the design, execution, analysis and interpretation of a broad range of ion channel pharmacology/electrophysiology assays to drive compound progression and elucidate mechanism of action
- Understanding of classical pharmacological principles and drug discovery process, in order to support assessment of potency, efficacy and contribute to predictions of human efficacy
- Ability to critically analyze and interpret data, and effectively document and communicate results to diverse audiences
- Successful track record in managing functional or cross-functional research groups, including Ph.D. Scientists and Research Associates
- Experience leading groups in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology setting
- Assay development expertise, including biochemical and cell-based assays
- Evidence of development of innovative translational in vitro and/or in vivo models that predict human efficacy
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, our corporate headquarters is now located in Boston's Innovation District, and our international headquarters is in London, United Kingdom. We currently employ approximately 2,500 people in the United States, Europe, Canada, Australia and Latin America with nearly two-thirds of our staff dedicated to research and development.
Vertex is consistently recognized as one of the industry’s top places to work by Science Magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal and the San Diego Business Journal. Our research and medicines have also received esteemed recognitions, including the Robert J. Beall Therapeutics Development Award, the French Prix Galien and the British Pharmacological Society awards. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.