Director Structural Biology and Biophysics
We seek a highly motivated and innovative scientist with extensive group management experience and a passion to apply biophysical techniques to drug discovery and target engagement. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in biochemical and biophysical research including structural biology. The position will require management of biochemists and biophysicists to support recombinant protein production, protein characterization and small-molecule ligand binding for structural and mechanistic studies.
- Provide leadership and expertise in biophysics, protein biochemistry, and structural biology
- Partner with cellular biologists, computational & medicinal chemists to identify and develop high-quality lead compounds for programs
- Contribute to the design and execution of biophysical screening and kinetics studies to support hit identification, validation, compound progression and mechanistic studies
- Manage and carry out biophysical protein-ligand measurements, determine protein mechanism, and work with enzymologists for assay development
- Experience in managing scientists of diverse levels of experience
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Enzymology, Structural Biology or related field with 10+ years of industry experience
- A demonstrated track record of effectively introducing relevant new technologies to a company environment is expected.
- Extensive hands-on experience with biophysical methods such as SPR, MST, ITC, CD, SEC-MALS
- Familiarity with X-ray crystallography, cryoEM and NMR
- Deep understanding and extensive experience with biophysical techniques to measure and characterize protein-ligand interactions, standard molecular biology and protein biochemistry methods, protein stability, protein folding, and catalysis
- Skills in managing multiple projects from different therapeutic targets with clear understanding of project needs and ensuring delivery of high-quality data with clear communication of timelines
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, our corporate headquarters is now located in Boston's Innovation District, and our international headquarters is in London, United Kingdom. We currently employ approximately 2,500 people in the United States, Europe, Canada, Australia and Latin America with nearly two-thirds of our staff dedicated to research and development.
Vertex is consistently recognized as one of the industry’s top places to work by Science Magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal and the San Diego Business Journal. Our research and medicines have also received esteemed recognitions, including the Robert J. Beall Therapeutics Development Award, the French Prix Galien and the British Pharmacological Society awards. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.