Senior Director, Intellectual Property
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a clinical stage biotech company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to form a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine. To date, NGM Bio has generated a pipeline of seven drug candidates in various stages of development targeting liver, metabolic and ophthalmic diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, NGM282, is entering Phase 2b clinical studies in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, which was extended to March 2022, will continue to provide us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
NGM is seeking an experienced patent attorney who will work closely with research and development leadership and the General Counsel, and will take the lead on developing, implementing and executing our global intellectual property strategy. The Company’s IP assets are rapidly expanding as a result of its robust drug discovery engine and its product candidates (protein and antibody therapeutics) are progressing through development, so the patent attorney should be capable of demonstrating leadership, management of a growing IP function and creative IP strategy and counseling at the highest level. This position will also be responsible for day-to-day management and protection of our IP assets, including patents, trademarks and trade secrets.
- Manage, protect and expand the Company’s patent portfolio, including working closely with various functions and outside counsel to proactively identify and develop patentable intellectual property to strengthen and protect the company’s IP assets and to prepare, file and prosecute related patent applications.
- Serve as a trusted partner for internal clients, including management and members of the research, translational and development groups, on IP risks and opportunities and support for patentability, freedom-to-operate, infringement, validity and regulatory exclusivity analyses.
- Advise on adversarial proceedings involving our product candidates, including IP litigation, European Oppositions and US inter partes reviews and similar matters.
- Develop a deep knowledge of, and continually monitor, the Company’s current and planned research, development and other business activities, product candidates and potential competitors and markets and keep abreast of developing trends, best practices, laws and regulations affecting IP.
- Train internal client groups who develop IP on the importance of IP to the success of the company and how they can contribute to enhancing the breadth and strength of our IP portfolio by communicating and coordinating effectively with the organization.
- Manage publication clearance and manage and protect the Company’s trademark portfolio.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- JD degree, with at least 12 years relevant professional experience in a law firm and/or in-house setting, working solely or primarily in the pharmaceutical, life science and/or biotechnology industry.
- Significant large molecule patent preparation and prosecution experience, including significant non-U.S. experience, and familiarity with both U.S. and non-U.S. IP rules, regulations and practices.
- Ability to approach IP creation and protection with a strategic mindset by anticipating future business, competitive and legal risks and opportunities and offering creative solutions.
- Ability to select and manage outside counsel and other external resources for quality work product, value and efficiency.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, including the ability to explain complex issues clearly and effectively to both scientists and non-scientists.
- Track record of leading projects to successful completion.
- Experience supervising people in a positive and motivating manner, with a demonstrated commitment to the professional development of direct reports.
- Flexibility, willingness, and ability to take on diverse tasks.
- Ability to facilitate and contribute to collaborative decision-making processes and work effectively on cross-functional teams.
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Admitted to practice before a state bar.
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- An advanced degree in a biological science, biochemistry, chemistry, or other field relevant to pharmaceuticals, life sciences or biotechnology highly preferred.
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, 401(k) and a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested applicants should click "Apply"