Proteomics and Mass Spec Imaging/Adjunct Professor Series
Proteomics and Mass Spec Imaging/Adjunct Professor Series*
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is seeking an outstanding and motivated individual to join our cutting edge drug discovery effort. S/he would immediately contribute to ongoing drug and discovery programs for neurodegenerative diseases, including Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), Alzheimer’s disease (AD), frontotemporal dementia (FTD) and Parkinson’s disease (PD). The IND is building a highly focused and multidisciplinary team to discover the causes of disease, and develop effective pharmacologic treatments, cures and diagnostic markers for these diseases.
The IND is located at the new Sandler Neurosciences Center at UCSF’s Mission Bay campus and directed by Nobel Laureate Dr. Stanley Prusiner.
The successful applicant will be an outstanding mass spectrometry researcher, responsible for developing and applying mass spectrometry techniques to quantify biomarkers of neurodegenerative disease and identify pharmacodynamic biomarkers of therapeutic interventions. S/he will collaborate with team members across disciplines to characterize different conformations of disease-relevant proteins and, with laboratory staff, will be responsible for continued operation and maintenance of both ultra-high resolution and imaging mass spectrometers.
The incumbent who will be responsible for MS imaging sample preparation, method development, and data analysis and will work with the pharmacology team to design animal studies using appropriate disease models to identify relationships between efficacy and drug exposure especially in the brain. The candidate will also be responsible for the application and use of MS imaging instrumentation for the analysis of spatial distribution and molecular composition of structures in brains of neurodegenerative disease animal models. S/he will also be responsible for MS instrument maintenance, calibration, optimization, and training and for establishing sample preparation workflow.
We expect the incumbent to possess a high sense of responsibility for his or her own career development, as well as for the wellbeing of our organization. The person should be willing to learn new skills and be open to guidance and suggestions from other lab members.
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational and record-keeping skills, and the ability to work as an effective and efficient team member with colleagues and peers within and outside of the IND
- Potential to contribute to manuscripts reporting research results
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent in Analytical Chemistry, Bioanalytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related science.
- Demonstrated expertise in mass spectrometry of proteins and peptides including quantitative proteomics, peptide mapping, intact protein analysis, post-translational modifications
- Demonstrated expertise with MALDI mass spectrometry
- A strong publication record in peer–reviewed journals
- Actual hands-on experience, responsibility, and accountability for operation and maintenance of high-resolution mass spectrometers
- Expertise with various biological matrices, including brain, liver and/or kidney
- Computer software and programming skills
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits. Salary is dependent upon experience.
- Rank will be commensurate with background, experience, and work history.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
San Francisco, CA
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Research summary - 4 page max, including figures
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details:
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)