Research Associate, Cell R&D
ViaCyte, Inc., a leader in the emerging field of regenerative medicine, is a private, venture-capital backed company headquartered in San Diego, California, focused on profoundly improving the way patients with diabetes are treated. For more information on ViaCyte, please visit www.viacyte.com and connect with ViaCyte on Twitter and Facebook.
Perform experiments and analyses related to culture of human embryonic stem cells and development of a cell therapy product using stem cell derived pancreatic progenitors. This is a full-time position.
- Grow, passage, and differentiate gene edited human pluripotent stem cells using aseptic technique including protocol optimization.
- Analyze the progression of cell differentiation in vitro using real time gene expression using Nanostring platform.
- Quantify and analyze histological images using image analysis software programs.
- Assay development and perform internal assay transfers. Development and validation of novel Standard Operating Procedures.
- Provide support to the in vivo team for their cell culture needs.
- Prepare media and other reagents as required for research activities in the cell biology group.
- Highly self-motivated and flexibility in working schedule to accommodate weekend work when necessary.
Our dynamic workplace is attractive to those who are self-motivated and resourceful. You will be expected to set priorities within your job scope and to meet critical deadlines. Flexibility to handle rapidly changing objectives and timelines is essential.
A bachelor’s or master’s degree in cell biology or a related field, and a minimum of five years of laboratory experience is required.
- Extensive Embryonic stem cell culture experience is required.
- Knowledge of stem cell biology and/or developmental biology is preferred.
- Experience with molecular biology techniques especially Nanostring, viability, cell death assays and ELISA is required.
- Experience with image analysis software is preferred.
- Genome-wide expression platform implementation and analysis, microarray, RNA-seq, or other is a plus.
- Experience in genome engineering using CRISPR is a plus.
- Must have demonstrated the ability and willingness to perform a wide variety of tasks – from those which are routine in nature to those which require independent thought and analysis.
- Must be skilled in the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office, primarily Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Must possess experience, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the essential duties listed in the previous section.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the job duties as listed above is acceptable.
Submit your resume and cover letter as a Word or PDF file through BioSpace portal.
It is the policy of ViaCyte to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, ViaCyte will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
ViaCyte’s goal is to increase representation of women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities. Our programs are designed to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, directives and regulations and cover all human resource actions including employment, compensation, benefits, training, education, promotions and social/recreational programs.