Associate Director, U.S. Oncology Public Affairs
The Associate Director is responsible for developing and executing on external strategies that protect and promote AbbVie's Oncology medicines and reputation among key stakeholders in the United States. The Associate Director must have a strong understanding of the U.S. healthcare and media environment to provide thoughtful counsel to a range of internal and external customers across all levels of management.
KEY ABBVIE COMPETENCIES:
- Represent U.S. Public Affairs on cross-functional brand teams to ensure external and internal perspective is considered and leveraged in support of business objectives.
- Oversee the development of Public Affairs plans to support business growth. Develop and execute U.S. brand communications strategy and tactics that align with U.S. brand strategies. Obtain buy-in from functional and commercial leadership and secure budgets. Oversee implementation of tactical program elements and ensure deliverables are met on time and on budget.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of emerging communications trends to maximize program impact, specifically in the area of influencer and digital engagement.
- Possess strong media relations skills to ensure all engagements with reporters are strategic and position AbbVie and the U.S. oncology franchise in a positive and balanced way.
- Proactively anticipate and mitigate issues that may present reputational risk to AbbVie and Oncology brands.
- Oversee the identification and development of internal and third-party spokespeople and prepare them for external speaking opportunities.
- Simplify complex issues through strong verbal and writing capabilities.
- Manage review process for external communications materials (press releases, statements, response documents, fact sheets, etc.). Keep various parties apprised of status, timelines and directional shifts to ensure smooth review process and to meet corporate deadlines.
KEY ABBVIE COMPETENCIES:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functional partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Is clear and courageous and adept at managing difficult conversations though direct and constructive dialogue
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Bachelor's Degree (emphasis in communications, public relations or journalism preferred).
- 10 years of experience in a high-level agency, business or communications environment.
- Extensive experience working directly with senior management and advocacy organizations.