Associate Director / Director / Sr. Director, Computational Chemistry
About IDEAYA Biosciences:
IDEAYA Biosciences (NASDAQ: IDYA) is a public, clinical-stage oncology-focused precision medicine company committed to the discovery and development of targeted therapeutics for patient populations selected using DNA sequencing and other molecular diagnostics. Our approach integrates extensive capabilities in identifying and validating translational biomarkers with small molecule drug discovery to select patient populations most likely to benefit from the therapies we are developing. We are applying these capabilities across multiple classes of precision medicine, including direct targeting of oncogenic pathways and synthetic lethality – which represents an emerging class of precision medicine targets. We believe this diversified approach will enable us to deliver the right medicine to the right patient to drive a more robust clinical response. For more information, please see www.ideayabio.com.
We are seeking a talented and highly qualified Computational Chemist with significant pharmaceutical industry experience to join our multidisciplinary team. The successful candidate will support project teams through target identification, hit discovery, lead optimization and ultimately drug candidate selection. The candidate is expected to have a high degree of independence and proven track record of applying modern computational chemistry techniques to advance small-molecule drug discovery programs. The qualified candidate will be creative and detail-oriented with a passion for drug discovery.
As part of the drug discovery team, the candidate will contribute to the identification of potential new targets, perform druggability analysis, and carry out virtual screens to enhance IDEAYA’s drug discovery pipeline. The candidate will work collaboratively with medicinal chemists and project teams to identify novel chemistry starting points and design compounds with improved potency, selectivity, functional activity and/or ADME properties. In addition, the work will include coaching more junior scientists to analyze, interpret, and visualize biological data, and communicate these results. The role holder will be accountable for devising, championing or developing state of the art computational chemistry techniques that solve key problems for project and chemistry teams.
- Ph.D. in Computational Chemistry or related discipline with 10+ years pharmaceutical or biotech experience demonstrating a strong understanding of drug design/discovery principles.
- Expertise in applying molecular modeling methods to structure, ligand and fragment-based drug discovery.
- Expertise with commercial modeling software (e.g., Schrodinger, MOE, OpenEye) and other specialized computational techniques.
- Expertise with molecular dynamics, quantum mechanics, cheminformatics, and methods to estimate ligand affinity.
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities on multiple projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Expertise with a wide array of computational methods including structure and ligand-based virtual screening, scaffold morphing, programming, statistics, data analysis, QSAR derivation and application, and ADME modeling.
- Expertise in Schrodinger Drug Discovery Suites.
- Expert understanding of medicinal chemistry concepts and demonstrated success in addressing medicinal chemistry design challenges.
- Knowledge and experience working with Protein-Protein Interaction targets.
- A strong record of delivering portfolio success and driving projects through to the identification of high quality small-molecule drug candidates.
- Excellent awareness of current developments in computational chemistry and ability to identify opportunities to advance the science in this field.
Ideaya is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, Ideaya does not discriminate in hiring or otherwise in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/AA/Vets.