Senior Scientific Researcher, Cytometry
Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Senior Scientific Researcher- Cytometry, Biomarker Development Biomarker
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientific Researcher/Senior Scientific Researcher to join the Cytometry Biomarker group within Development Sciences. Our group is responsible for designing and implementing biomarker assays for programs in clinical development at Genentech in immunology, immuno-oncology, hematological oncology, and other new therapeutic areas.
- Attention to detail, good communication, and collaboration skills will be essential to excel in this position
- Proven cell biology expertise working with a variety of sample types including whole blood, bone marrow, cell lines and single-cell suspension from tissue samples is expected
- Ability to design and execute the development and validation of 8+ color cytometry assays is essential
- Experience with and enthusiasm for higher complexity (+18 color) cytometry platforms is preferred
- Experience with advanced bioinformatics tools (e.g. ‘R’ scripts, spotfire) for analyzing and visualizing biomarker data is highly valued
- Strong analytical skills and judgment in assessing the quality of assay data and assay performance will be needed to be successful in this role
- Must be self-motivated, able to multi-task, and meet timelines efficiently and productively
This position will report to the Senior Scientific Manager of the Cytometry Biomarker group within the Development Sciences Division of Genentech Research and Early Development. The individual will lead development and execution of cytometry biomarker activities supporting one or more molecules and indications in the non-oncology and oncology disease areas to better understand mechanisms of drug action, response and resistance. Scope of biomarker activities will span predictive, pharmacodynamic, and prognostic biomarkers as well as response markers such as MRD (minimal residual disease).
Who You Are
- B.A./B.S. or M.S degree in life sciences, with at least 3 years of relevant experience, preferably in the industry setting, is required.
- A strong knowledge of flow cytometry is essential, with proficiency in traditional manual gating approaches such as FCS Express or FloJo®.
- Candidates with enthusiasm and experience to adopt advanced analytical tools such as unsupervised and supervised automated analysis (e.g. tSNE, FLOWDensity, FLOWSom) will be given preference. Hands-on lab experience with human cell based assays is preferred.
- The candidate must demonstrate a high level of independence and be able to develop hypotheses and analysis plans for immunology and oncology associated cytometry biomarker data.
- The candidate will have a demonstrated ability to function as part of a cross-functional team.
- Strong writing and communication skills are required, as evidenced by publications and/or drug development reports.
- Experience with outsourcing flow cytometry assays to contract research organizations (CRO) is highly desirable.
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.