Senior Engineer, Technology I
The Linux Engineering position is responsible for engineering, implementation, operationalization, and troubleshooting of the Linux operating system. This individual will be part of the Linux OS team that will collaborate with internal business customers, infrastructure teams, and third-party managed service providers. This role supports business functions by identifying application requirements and assisting with deployment and support of the applications into the on-premise or cloud hosting locations. This role will also be expected to investigate and engineer new technologies focused on automation to enhance and secure the on premise or cloud platforms to provide agility to the business.
Experience and Skills
- Review architectural diagrams and implements standard Linux solutions per application design.
- Provide expert knowledge in the configuration management of Linux based systems.
- Performs Linux System administration, performance tuning, monitoring, to maintain stable environments.
- Diagnosing unique and complex system, network, and application issues
- Experience troubleshooting skills to provide root cause analysis on performance, application, or system outages.
- Installing, upgrading and maintaining Red Hat, CentOS, SUSE, OS distributions.
- A solid understanding of networking and core Internet protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP, and distributed networks).
- Developing with automation or scripting tools such as Ansible, Shell, Korn, Bash, Python, Cloud Formation, Terraform, or similar products.
- Create and configure file systems and file system attributes, such as permissions, encryption, and access control lists to include network file systems.
- Experienced integration with Active Directory and NIS for Linux authentication.
- Managing Docker hosts and containers.
- Collaborating with Security team members to ensure secure system operations of Linux systems including applying patches and scanning for vulnerabilities.
- Provide third level support to operational teams to ensure Incident and Problem Management is a mechanism that feeds continuous improvement.
- Interface with cross-functional teams and developers to support and resolve technical problems.
- Acknowledge and respond to all assigned engineering requests and close within the SLA timeframe.
- Establishes strong partnerships with key vendors, BTO's, and infrastructure teams to deploy and support cloud services.
- Communicate effectively to BTO users and infrastructure teams to help understand or effectively troubleshoot issues or requests as they are submitted.
- Adhere to corporate standards regarding applicable corporate and divisional policies and comply with all audit, compliance, and regulatory requirements.
- Assist in standardized design of new and existing processes and policies.
- Collaborates with the architecture team on new strategies
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
- SUSE Certified Engineer (SCE)
- VMware Certified Professional
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in College degree in Information Systems, related field, or equivalent work experience is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience as Linux Server administrator.
- Good working knowledge of DevOps, various types of automation, container platforms (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Experience with VMWare, ESX Server or Virtual Center with a working knowledge of vSphere and VDI a plus.
- Technical knowledge of industry standard disaster recovery policies
- Proven implementation of creative technology solutions that advance the business.
- Has participated in the design, implementation, and migration of and application to a on premise or cloud environment.
- Recent work experience health care/life science organization is a plus.
- Experience in the systems development, implementation, and operations of a large-scale, enterprise systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to effectively lead and facilitate meetings with customers and technical team members.
- Must be deliverables focused and detail oriented.
- Must exhibit exceptional teamwork skills.
- Must have a strong customer focus.
- Strong time management, attention to detail, and follow through.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate multiple activities simultaneously