Senior Data Engineer - Visualization
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering creative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and uses its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Main Job Purpose:
Amgen is seeking Data and Visualization Engineers to help realize Amgen's Operations Data Strategy. This program will produce business insights through analytic solutions. You will build upon our awarded Enterprise Data Lake to develop valued business applications that provide important business insights and actionable information across Operations Data Strategy projects.
Key Activities include:
- Leading and being hands-on for the technical design, development, testing, implementation, and support of key projects in data pipelines, visualization, dashboards, and reporting.
- Collaborating with business partners and business analysts to translate business requirements into technical requirements
- Working closely with the Process Development Enterprise Data Lake and platform teams to ensure that the applications are aligned with the overall architectural and development guidelines
- Maintaining knowledge of market trends and developments in Data Science and related emerging technologies to provide recommendations and deliver standard methodology solutions
- Estimating level of effort and hours required as part of project planning
- Implement standardized, automated operational and quality control processes to deliver accurate and timely data and reporting to meet or exceed SLAs.
- Defines and approves data engineering design patterns to be used for general re-use on multiple implementations
Master's degree and 2 years of Information Systems experience
Bachelor's degree and 4 years of Information Systems experience
Associate degree and 10 years of Information Systems experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Information Systems experience
- 5 plus more years of Life Science or Supply Chain industry experience focused on analytics, business intelligence, reporting or data management
- Hands-on experience in architecting analytics and BI solutions using at-least two of the following technologies - Tableau (preferred), Spotfire, IBM Cognos, SAP Business Objects
- Has led the end-to-end delivery of large-scale/complex BI projects in Cloud/AWS environment
- Working knowledge of AWS technologies such as S3, Redshift, Spectrum, EMR, Spark, Athena
- Strong SQL skills with an understanding of RDBMS, MPP, and HDFS databases and Performance tuning experience related to reporting queries
- Previous experience with data analysis, extraction, and visualization using statistical software (R, S-Plus, SAS, or similar), databases and scripting languages (such as Python) preferred.
- Working knowledge of data modeling principles and tuning of relational as well as NoSQL datastores (Oracle, Red-shift, Impala, HDFS/Hive, Athena, etc.)
- 5 plus years of experience working with agile development methodologies such as Sprint and Scrum
- Experience with Agile methodologies and DevOps
- Full stack development using infrastructure cloud services (AWS preferred) and cloud-native tools and design patterns (Containers, Serverless, Docker, etc) is a plus.
- The requisite technical skills;
- Ability to synthesize business, technical constraints and requirements
- The ability to absorb the nuances of the Bio-Tech operations value chain, including supply chain, logistics, and manufacturing source systems;
- High personal standards of efficiency and quality;
- The ability to contribute in a collaborative environment;
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission - to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.