Senior Data Engineer
Main Job Purpose:
Amgen is seeking Data Engineers to help realize Amgen's Operations Data Strategy. This program will produce business insights through data science solutions. You will build upon our awarded Enterprise Data Lake to develop data products that span the Operations Domain (Process Development, Supply Chain, Quality, Engineering, Manufacturing). There is no more challenging data environment than Life Sciences due to the integration of scientific research, manufacturing, logistics of pharmaceutical products. Expect to make a difference in providing patients with products that meet their medical needs in a competitive landscape.
Key Activities for the Data Engineer include:
- Defines and approves data engineering design patterns to be used for general re-use on multiple implementations
- Collaborate with Data Architects, Business SME's, and Data Scientists to architect data products and services.
- Build data products and services processes which perform data transformation, metadata extraction, workload management and error processing management.
- Implement standardized, automated operational and quality control processes to deliver accurate and timely data and reporting to meet or exceed SLAs.
- Drive the exploration and adoption of new tools, and techniques and propose improvements to the data pipeline
- Integrate the operations data platform with the Data Scientist workbench, the Data Marketplace, and Analytic Tools such as Tableau, Spotfire, R, etc.
- Act as a product manager for the operations data platform backlog
- Act as a run manager, provide Run/DevOps support
Master's degree and 2 years of Information Systems experience
Bachelor's degree and 4 years of Information Systems experience
Associate degree and 10 years of Information Systems experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Information Systems experience
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 5 plus years of experience building complex and inter - dependent data models for analytic, Machine learning use cases.
- 5 plus years of experience crafting and building processes that extract, process and contribute to data sets from multiple source systems.
- Experiencing with data modeling and tuning of relational as well as NoSQL datastores (Oracle, Red-shift, Impala, HDFS/Hive, Athena, etc.)
- Experience working with distributed computing tools (Spark, Hive, etc.)
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, S3, Lambda
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow, etc.
- 5 plus years experience working with and leading agile development methodologies such as Sprint and Scrum
- Experience with Software engineering best-practices, including but not limited to version control (Git, TFS, Subversion, etc.), CI/CD (Jenkins, Maven, Gradle, etc.), automated unit testing, Dev Ops.
- Experience with Semantic technologies and approaches is a plus.
- Biotech / Pharma experience is a plus
- Full stack development using infrastructure cloud services (AWS preferred) and cloud-native tools and design patterns (Containers, Serverless, Docker, etc) is a plus.
- The ability to absorb the nuances of the Bio-Tech operations value chain, including supply chain, logistics, and manufacturing source systems;
- High personal standards of productivity and quality
- Able to function as scrum master for the Data Engineering Team
- The ability to contribute in a collaborative and fast paced environment.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering creative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and uses its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission - to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.