Global Category Sr Manager - Strategic Insights
The Global Category Strategic Sourcing Senior Manager - Strategic Insights will report into the R&D & OPS Strategy Director within Global Strategic Sourcing (GSS). The Senior Manager will be responsible for providing detailed analytics and insights across a number of categories within R&D & Operations. They will also be accountable for providing detailed analytical insights and fact base and support the overall development of category strategies. The Senior Manager will be integral to the identification of opportunities, quantification of potential value and impact to Amgen.
- Core member of the Agile Category Strategy team within GSS
- Serves as the foundational fact base development for the creation of sourcing strategies
- Owns the fact base development for the categories in scope and provides insights to be used in developing category strategies
- Collaborates with the team and stakeholders to develop strategic insights and options
- Develops strong relationships with key stakeholders / groups (Finance, HR, Global Business Solutions, functional stakeholders and other GSS colleagues)
- Acts as a trusted business advisor providing data insights whilst delivering accurate qualitative and quantitative value to the organization
- Provides data and develops insights for the Strategy team addressing current/future business needs
- Leads and influences stakeholder groups with sound and articulate business case recommendations (i.e. build vs buy strategy) with quantifiable financial benefits
- Develops and recommends Productivity metrics to capture and sustain year on year targets
Delivering Value for Customers
- Acts as an ambassador for the GSS function and the key point of to gather, cleanse, analyze data and provide strategic insights
- Owns the entire data collection and data lifecycle process, ensuring consistency, scrubbing, cleaning and quality of the data to ensure accuracy to support category strategy development
- Effectively drives cross-category data synergies taking into account 'overlapping' stakeholder groups, geographic regions and / or where specific requirements exist (i.e. able to leverage data sources across multiple categories)
- Responsive and adaptable to the evolving and complex business needs, with an ability to build models to quantify the value/impact of different scenarios and recommendations
- Ability to develop and model multiple business cases to demonstrate the potential opportunities and impact of options across a category
- Understanding of the Agile methodology and ability to apply it to the Category Management process
Developing Category Strategies
- Owns the data used to develop multi-year category strategies while ensuring quality, consistency and integrity of the data
- Develops insights and recommendations based on the data
- Able to build financial models to evaluate the potential value of category scenarios / options / recommendations
- Ability to build comprehensive category Total Cost of Ownership models and business cases
- Develops strong partnerhsips and has ability to influence and manage stakeholders to ensure the delivery of timely and accurate data
- Brings and grows internal category and function-specific fact-base and proactively identifies opportunities for Productivity
- Ability to influence teams in a matrix organization, across geographies
- Demonstrated track record of identifying root causes to issues and proactively problem solving complex organizational needs
- Compelling and persuasive communicator (oral and written) with excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Ability to effectively communicate cost models, including assumptions and rationale
Analytical & Technical
- Proven technical knowledge and business ability related to R&D and OPS categories within the Biotech industry
- Proven ability to use the Category Management process and ability to use relevant tools to develop strategic plans
- Strong understanding of business analytics, including cost driver identification
- Ability to analyze spend data and present insights based on the needs of the audience
- Ability to develop baseline cost models to accurately represent current state
- Ability to build dynamic total cost of ownership models, including business case development with multiple scenarios in order to evaluate and quantify value
- Proficiency in MS Office tools (PowerPoint and Excel), analytical tools, ERP systems etc.
- Experienced with Agile methodology
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
Master's degree and 4 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
Bachelor's degree and 6 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
- Solid understanding of procurement/sourcing/category management methodology and able to drive value for customers leveraging the right sourcing levers
- Excellent and disciplined project management and prioritization skills with ability to react to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently
- Can conform to shifting priorities and have ability to drive multiple simultaneous project implementations
- Strong commercial acumen in order to drive sourcing and demand management strategies and supply negotiations
- Proven ability to deliver complex multi-regional and/or global projects in a matrixed and global environment
- Track record in establishing strong SOW/SLAs and ensuring supplier performance
- Broad knowledge of the market forces shaping a customer's business context (e.g. supplier base, legal & regulatory environment, sources of competitive advantage)
- Ability to conduct benchmarking to address cost, quality, risk and innovation considerations
- Ability to provide thought leadership, ability to influence and actively shape strategy
- A sourcing expert with strong financial acumen and problem solving skills
- Independent self-starter and able to motivate others to accomplish ambiguous tasks
- Clear thinker, disciplined, logical and organized with the ability to prioritize
- Strong oral and written communication / presentation / collaboration skills
- Strong executive communicator with the ability to create and communicate complex business cases in a simple and effective manner
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.