Scientist / Senior Scientist
Nkarta Therapeutics, Inc. is a private biotech start-up that is harnessing the power of Natural Killer cells in developing next generation cellular immunotherapies for cancer. NK cells play a key role in the body’s immune system, able to identify and kill abnormal cells by monitoring their expression of activating and inhibitory receptors and recruit the adaptive immune system.
Nkarta will combine its NK expansion platform with further proprietary cell engineering technologies to build differentiated products designed to tackle challenging diseases with significant unmet clinical need.
We are currently offering a unique opportunity for a highly motivated researcher to join our team with experience in immune, cellular and cancer biology.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, develop and execute a broad range of cell based functional and phenotypic assays for characterization of engineered NK and T-cells to accelerate projects in pre-clinical development.
- Conduct in vitro studies using primary human/mouse immune cells and cell lines to evaluate activity of candidate therapies.
- Design and execute experiments independently; accurately record, analyze and communicate data to senior staff and team members. Present results in team meetings and deliver presentations to both small and large groups.
- Collaborate with team members and serve as scientific mentor to Research Associates.
- PhD in immunology or related discipline and 2 or more years of industry experience.
- Strong background in immunology and in-depth experience in the principles and practices of cellular immunology and cell biology methodologies, including primary human/mouse immune cell isolation, culture, differentiation and activation, cell transfection, and viral transduction.
- Expertise in developing and executing in vitro cellular characterization assays including immune cell phenotyping, cytotoxicity (FACS & image based), proliferation, migration, 3D cultures, and cytokine analysis.
- Proficiency in designing and performing complex multi-color flow cytometry is required.
- Experience with NK or CAR-T based cancer therapy is preferred.
- Experience with ex vivo murine immune cell analysis is preferred.
- Ability to work on complex problems where analysis requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors.
- Exercises independent judgment and provides strong scientific rationale in selecting experimental methods, techniques, evaluation criteria for obtaining results and data analysis.
- Strong verbal and writing skills for documentation of data, drafting of technical reports, and communication of progress to supervisor and project teams.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently as well as in collaboration with peers within a fast-paced team environment with a positive outlook and high degree of self-motivation and organization.
Nkarta offers a creative, team-oriented scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, 401k match, and a comprehensive benefits package.