Associate Director Medicinal Chemistry
We seek a proven leader in Medicinal Chemistry for our Boston research facility. The candidate will be responsible for leading, motivating and developing a team of approximately 5-10 highly skilled PhD, MS, and BS medicinal chemists in the areas of early drug discovery and lead optimization. Additional responsibilities may include project chemistry team leadership. The position will report directly to the Head of Medicinal Chemistry.
The ideal candidate will bring broad medicinal chemistry expertise to the department and will be expected to develop strong and effective working relationships with drug discovery project teams and across functions in Research and Development. The candidate should be fluent with state-of-the-art drug design methods and will have a strong track record in medicinal chemistry as demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications and influence in the field.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing innovative & effective leadership in Medicinal Chemistry from lead generation through to drug candidates
- Developing strong design solutions to medicinal chemistry challenges in drug discovery
- Actively participating in the leadership team for the Boston Medicinal Chemistry function
- Ensuring high quality and effective interactions across functions in support of project goals and objectives
- Contributing to project and department strategic planning and intellectual property protection
- Ensuring the professional development of team members
- Formulating and delivering on project and department goals
- Planning and effectively employing external chemistry resources
- Identifying and/or leading external collaborations that support departmental or project objectives
- PhD (or equivalent degree) in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry
- 10+ years of industry experience with proven track record of advancing molecules into clinical development
- Experience leading medicinal chemistry teams
- Experience in strategic planning, team leadership, laboratory and budget management
- Demonstrated contributions in drug discovery as evidenced by a strong record of publications, external presentations, and patents
- A broad understanding of drug discovery and related disciplines (e.g. computational chemistry, ADME, material sciences, drug safety/toxicology, chemical biology, IP, etc.)
- Expertise in chemistry, especially as it relates to medicinal and synthetic chemistry
- Proven ability to champion and advance innovative concepts, particularly technology applied in medicinal chemistry and chemical biology
- Experience developing people and mentoring group members
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity in a matrixed work environment
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, our corporate headquarters is now located in Boston's Innovation District, and our international headquarters is in London, United Kingdom. We currently employ approximately 2,500 people in the United States, Europe, Canada, Australia and Latin America with nearly two-thirds of our staff dedicated to research and development.
Vertex is consistently recognized as one of the industry’s top places to work by Science Magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal and the San Diego Business Journal. Our research and medicines have also received esteemed recognitions, including the Robert J. Beall Therapeutics Development Award, the French Prix Galien and the British Pharmacological Society awards. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.