Veterinary Technician III
The Veterinary Technician III carries out daily activities with team or focused area within function in the Vivarium and monitors the clinical care and preventative medical procedures for the research animals under their responsibility. Works autonomously on weekends and holidays. Contributes to specific projects or initiatives for the Comparative Medicine department. Provides exemplary animal care and adheres to all department and AbbVie regulatory expectations. Works in compliance of all applicable local, federal, GLP, FDA, and USDA regulations. Provides veterinary care in support of the AbbVie drug discovery and development process.
- Demonstrates specific knowledge in veterinary/laboratory animal medicine.
- Conducts veterinary care with good proficiency and some oversight. Provides basic care for all species housed in the facility (i.e. weekend coverage).
- Proficient in anesthesia and surgical prep skills in multiple species. Provides anesthesia support for surgery and translational imaging procedures including, PET, CT, MRI and ultrasonography.
- Provides technical support for tests, experiments, and/or procedures following standard protocol.
- Leads focus area and understands related area research projects/activities. Plans and executes assigned tasks using learned techniques. Uses experience and training to lead decision making.
- Develops practices and/or procedures for everyday tasks.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to conduct scientific literature reviews. Understands scientific principles to conduct research process.
- Maintains appropriate documentation, handling, and archiving of data, as required by research, veterinary procedures and/or regulatory guidelines.
- Identifies and reports technical or other discrepancies as they occur. Monitors and reports study subject adverse events.
- Provides basic level technical training in multiple areas. Ensures all corporate safety, quality control, and quality assurance standards are met. Works and trains within the animal care and use program as proscribed by management.
- Documents, reviews and maintains correct standard operations procedures and protocols.
- Maintains area (lab, vivarium, support area) including supplies, equipment and facilities. Recognizes and reports operations issues in facilities.
- Applies basic computer skills to maintain regulatory compliance and training to include but not limited to, email, calendar, and computer-based training modules.
- Assures duties are completed accurately not to impact pipeline activities and/or integrity of regulatory expectations.
- HS + 3 years of Laboratory Animal Medicine (LAM) or relevant clinical experience OR AS/BS + 1 yr LAM or relevant clinical experience
- CVT required; AALAS certification preferred.
- Ability to work in compliance with all local, federal, GLP, FDA, USDA regulations
Attention to detail to provide good animal welfare
- Problem-solving ability consisting of taking initiative to handle basic issues autonomously and working with team members for the more complex issues to support animal care operations
- Good communication skills with both internal staff and those external of the department.
- Ability to have tough conversations with internal personnel while maintaining efficiency in the workplace and an effective team environment.
- Ability to consistently perform functions consistent with AbbVie leadership behaviors and attributes.
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds, consistently stand and walk for extended periods of time, to include walking and adhering to safety rules and expectations including but not limited to: grasping, squeezing, pushing, pulling, squatting, stooping, and bending.
- Willing and able to work a rotating schedule which includes some level of mandatory weekend coverage and holiday coverage.
- Excellent attendance is expected.