Senior Princpal Statistical Scientist
Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Senior Principal Statistical Scientist
The Methods, Collaboration and Outreach group (MCO group) is a small global group of senior methodological experts within the biostatistics department with the goal to solve methodological problems arising in drug development and clinical trials, to collaborate with other statisticians, within the biostatistics department and outside, and to reach out to colleagues outside the company in other industry organizations, in academia and health authorities. The MCO group is an important cornerstone of the biostatistics mission of introducing innovation and new methods into drug development.
The principal statistical methodologists are experienced statisticians with a passion for statistical methodology and its applications in clinical trials and beyond. They are inspiring to others and can motivate them to look into statistical methodology beyond standards to drive for the utmost best result. They have a strong collaborative team oriented focus with strong interests to the academic and regulatory world with the ability to link people from different institutions for a common purpose. They finally have substantial experience in drug development in industry with a PHD in biostatistics or a related field.
Clinical Development projects
- Support clinical projects and drug development initiatives by providing state of the art statistical methodology. This could be done in various ways by providing consulting, mentoring statistical colleagues, collaboration with project teams or by taking on responsibility for parts of the project.
- Provide statistical leadership for clinical development projects, including providing strategic input into clinical development plans where it is directly affected by statistical methodology
- Provide statistical leadership to the biostatistics department on areas where new statistical methodology should be developed or existing methodology should be applied.
- Provides analytical and strategic leadership for important activities such as personalized healthcare biomarker development, statistical modelling or adaptive and other innovative trial designs.
- Serve as member of business development due diligence efforts.
- Proactively advice teams and functions on the best application of statistical methods including advanced analytics to any data type
- Drive partnership with other analytical functions including PHC CoE, focus on the application of adequate methods and utilize leadership opportunities
- Liaise and collaborate on general methodological problems with external statistical experts in academia, other companies, where there is a common goal, and health authorities
People Development and Leadership
- Mentors other statisticians on request, especially with regard to methodology
- Lead departmental initiatives, especially when such initiatives have a methodological focus
- Be a leader in the application of statistical methodology within the biostatistics department
Who You Are
- PhD in Statistics, Biostatistics, Mathematics or similar areas of academic discipline.
- Experience in clinical trials in pharmaceutical industry
- Experience as a lead statistician for a clinical project
- Good knowledge of English in a business environment.
- Experience in using statistical software
- Expertise in applying statistical methods to patient data including methods of advanced analytics and high dimensional data
Candidates for this position should hold the following qualifications, have the following experience, and be able to demonstrate the following abilities to be considered as a suitable applicant. Please note that except where specified as "preferred," or as a "plus," all points listed below are considered minimum requirements.
Qualifications & Competencies
- Very good knowledge of theoretical and applied statistics including methods in advanced analytics
- Passion for statistical methodology and its implementation in clinical development
- Passion to collaborate with others inside and outside the company
- Excellent knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to drug development
- Excellent understanding of regulatory guidelines in a pharmaceutical research setting
- Understands and applies business requirements and processes
- Understands and respects cultural differences when interacting with colleagues in the global work place
- Independent working style to accomplish responsibilities
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills (including statistical consulting skills, interpersonal skills to contribute effectively in cross-functional team settings, ability to influence others without authority, ability to build strong collaborative relationships with scientific and non-scientific partners)
- Excellent project management skills (including ability to manage scope and effectively delegate to other functions, staff, contractors and external vendors)
- Excellent strategic agility (including problem-solving and critical thinking skills, ability to drive drug development strategies, agility that extends beyond statistical aspects)
- Excellent drive for results (Demonstrates interest and ability to learn new things, takes initiative, welcomes problems as challenges; finds solutions to technical problems)
- Proficient mentoring other statisticians.
- Experience with all data types including high dimensional data
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.