Synthetic Organic Chemist
What is this role really like?
Mirati is seeking extraordinary synthetic organic chemists to join the Drug Discovery group at the associate scientist level and above. You have broad experience with modern synthetic methodologies, purification, characterization and lab techniques. You form strong working relationships with project scientists across research. In addition, you are an effective communicator of your work to members of multi-disciplinary project teams
- Utilize cutting-edge synthetic methodologies and techniques to design and execute efficient syntheses of target compounds for existing chemical series and novel series
- Independently conduct multi-step synthesis and optimization through effective reaction planning, troubleshooting, and systematic analysis
- Maintain all appropriate legal and corporate standards for lab safety and hazardous material management; execute daily chemistry operations with an approach designed to minimize risks and hazard waste streams
- Synthesize singleton analogs (< 10 mg), libraries, and moderate scaleup (50-100 g).
- Purify and characterize compounds using a variety of techniques including chromatography, crystallization, trituration, LCMS, NMR, etc.
- Engage with CMC and early development teams to facilitate IND-enabling activities for drug substance to ensure a seamless transition from late discovery to early development with internal accountability and flexibility
- Enable chemistry via new technologies
- Potentially help set up and manage a synthetic chemistry lab
- Maintain the lab instruments including HPLC, ISCO, lyophilizer etc.
- Maintain lab notebook, instrument and inventory records in accord with department guidance and regulatory requirements
- Prepare and present summaries of work for department and project meetings
- Participate in the preparation of publications and patent applications related to Mirati’s portfolio of projects
What would a successful candidate look like?
- A Bachelor’s degree with 5 or more years of synthetic organic experience, preferably in the pharma or biotech sector, or a Master’s degree and two years of experience
- A track record of synthetic productivity, as demonstrated by patent applications, publications, and presentations
- Flexibility in adapting methods/skills according to evolving project priorities
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of modern synthetic, laboratory and analytical techniques
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations