Senior Associate Scientist, Protein Chemistry
What is this role really like?
Mirati is seeking a protein chemist with a track record of generating high-quality recombinant protein for use in structural biology, biochemistry, biophysics, and pharmacology experiments who will advance Mirati projects towards the discovery of clinical drug candidates. You have expertise in construct design, expression, purification, and characterization of recombinant proteins. You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. You form strong working interactions with project scientists across discovery including structural biologists, enzymologists, biophysicists, pharmacologists, computational chemist, and medicinal chemists. In addition, you are comfortable communicating and presenting your work to members of multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Expression, purification, and characterization of recombinant protein for structural biology, enzymology, biophysics, and pharmacology experiments:
- Construct design and optimization
- Expression in bacterial and insect cell systems
- Design and execution of milligram-scale protein purifications
- Pro-actively troubleshoot the expression and purification of challenging targets in order to insure robust, scalable, and sustainable deliveries of high-quality protein
- Characterization of the stability and homogeneity of purified proteins via techniques such as FPLC, UV-Vis, Westerns, SEL-MALS, and DSC/DS
- Work with crystallographers to set up crystallization experiments using automated liquid handling
- Maintain a current knowledge of the protein chemistry, molecular biology, and broader drug discovery scientific literature. Identify and - where appropriate - implement novel techniques and technologies
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with internal and external project team members from multiple disciplines including structural biology, biochemistry/biophysics, pharmacology, computational chemistry, medicinal chemistry, informatics, DMPK, toxicology, legal/IP, and project management
What would a successful candidate look like?
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, scientific creativity, and the ability to think logically and critically
- Experience in designing and optimizing DNA constructs for expression
- Proficiency in protein expression in E. coli and insect cell systems
- Expertise in designing and implementing protein purification schema capable of generating high quality, homogeneous, functional protein
- Strong experience in protein characterization including FPLC, UV-Vis, Westerns, SEL-MALS, DSC/DSF, etc.
- Experience with biophysical techniques to assess protein-ligand or protein-protein binding such as DSC/DSF, SPR, MST, ITC, and SHG is a plus
- Experience working with molecular biology CROs is a plus
- Ability to work pro-actively and independently
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The candidate will hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related field and a minimum of 2 years' experience in protein expression and purification, preferably in a structural biology setting