Principal Scientist, Drug Metabolism
What is this role really like?
Mirati is seeking a drug metabolism scientist strong track record advancing research programs from early discovery to early clinical stages. You will help design and build the Drug Metabolism function in a role that is primarily laboratory-based, leveraging external resources where appropriate and work effectively with the Drug Discovery (medicinal and synthetic chemistry, computational chemistry, protein chemistry and crystallography) and Research Pharmacology functions. You have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and form strong working interactions with project scientists across discovery and clinical pharmacology. In addition, you are comfortable communicating and presenting your work to members of multi-disciplinary project teams and can teach your coworkers the underlying principles of drug metabolism to help guide them in their decision-making process.
- Design and conduct (internally or externally) in vitro studies in isolated systems or whole cells to evaluate compound ADMET characteristics including stability, permeability, metabolism, solubility reaction phenotyping, induction, transporters, phototox, genetic tox and other assays as required, in order to advance Mirati portfolio programs.
- Where appropriate, work in accordance with FDA’s most recent draft guidance in order to enable IND-quality reports for advanced compounds
- Perform incubations for metabolism studies and possibly the production of larger-scale amounts of metabolites, compound analogs or synthetic intermediates
- Design and conduct studies to establish IVIVC; predict human PK for advanced compounds and collaborate effectively with pharmacology colleagues to establish target human dose ranges for lead compounds
- Provide bioanalysis supporting PK, TK and PD studies. Analyze data using Phoenix or other software and report results to project teams
- Actively contribute to project team discussions to provide DMPK expertise and enable fast progression toward corporate goals. Identify relevant studies and establish work plans for DMPK support to resolve current DMPK related issues to meet project and company goals
- Optimize protocols and methods to ensure fast turn-around time
- Train other associates and interns as necessary in the DMPK group in areas of expertise
- Help establish and maintain an appropriate lab instrument (LIMS) and database management system for ADMET data arising from both internal and external studies.
- Maintain a current knowledge of the drug metabolism and broader drug discovery scientific literature. Identify and - where appropriate - implement drug metabolism algorithms and technologies.
- Advance the Mirati Research Portfolio and company value through presentation/publication of project results in scientific meetings and peer-reviewed literature as guided by Mirati publication policies
What would a successful candidate look like?
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, scientific creativity, and the ability to think logically and critically
- Strong background in drug metabolism including excellent understanding of and experience in the interpretation of all aspects of preclinical ADMET data.
- Experience in LC-MS/MS based analysis. Strong hands-on experience with LC-MS/MS based data acquisition and knowledge of common MS instrument-based software. Ability to troubleshoot and maintain instruments
- Significant experience with hepatocyte based assays
- Hands-on experience performing in vitro studies with small molecule drug candidates: intrinsic clearance, CYP inhibition, CYP induction, CYP phenotyping, permeability, solubility, transporter and mechanistic enzyme studies
- Ability to characterize and support compound risk assessments, particularly DDI assessments
- Strong skills within method optimization, automation and liquid handling to ensure precision and fast turn-around time
- Ability to work pro-actively and independently
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- BS/MS/PhD with 18/15/3 years of experience, respectively, and experience in a pharma or biotech environment
Mirati is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) – we celebrate diverse experiences and welcome applicants that meet the minimum requirements. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.
This role is NOT open to agencies- please no emails or phone calls.