Medical Science Liaison
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field based scientific authority that strategically supports the research and business objectives of a designated therapeutic area across the product life cycle. MSLs are the primary communicators of AbbVie science within a specific geography with healthcare professionals. MSLs are the field scientific experts on given disease states and treatment options within a designated therapeutic area. They combine strong business insight, clinical expertise, market awareness. They serve as a conduit of information both externally and internally to a cross functional customer base internally within AbbVie. Based on therapeutic needs and product life cycles, teams may focus on certain responsibilities to a greater or lesser degree, including clinical development and pipeline support.
- Support research initiatives across development at the request of R&D to include: site evaluation and identification, recruitment, investigator meetings, external expert identification, and external teamwork management.
- Identifies, gains access to, and develops professional relationships with external experts (EEs) in therapeutic areas within assigned geography.
- Routinely communicates field insights to internal business partners. Provides education relative to disease state and AbbVie products through the product lifecycle to healthcare providers and researchers. Continually educates self on market issues/trends and product knowledge as it pertains to specific business responsibilities in key therapeutic areas.
- Works with in-field teams to develop and execute a territory plan designed to support and meet shared business objectives. Inputs and maintains internal database as it relates to HCP interactions in respective geography. Responsible for marketplace preparation in new therapeutic areas of interest, which includes building awareness and relationships for AbbVie in the Medical community.
- Serves as a scientific resource to commercial partners as appropriate to support activities such as Medical Congress staffing, Advisory Boards, and training initiatives.
- The MSL is accountable for providing and supporting clinical information needs within an assigned geography and supporting the MSL team and corporate needs by meeting targeted goals related to specific EEs MSLs provide support for strategic clinical initiatives, executes a territory business plan and team tactical plan supporting business needs, meets assigned project deadlines, and achieves annual functional goals. Efficient and responsible use of resources, including financial decisions.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and Procedure.
- Advanced degree required (i.e. Pharm D, MD/DO, PhD, PA or NP, BSN) in a relevant scientific discipline. Doctorate strongly preferred in a health science or clinical discipline. Significant industry experience in relevant therapeutic area may be accepted in lieu of education requirements.
- Greater than or equal to 2 years of clinical, scientific/research, or industry related experience or equivalent required. Previous pharmaceutical industry experience within relevant scientific discipline preferred.
- The MSL must possess advanced problem solving and analytic skills to be able to identify, and translate specific territory and corporate needs, into an action that will achieve objectives.
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time.
- An essential requirement of your position is to meet health care industry representative (HCIR) credentialing requirements to gain entry into facilities and organizations that are in your assigned territory. These HCIR credentialing requirements may include, but are not limited to, background checks, drug screens, and proof of immunization/vaccination for various diseases