Scientist / Senior Scientist, Applications
Pacific Biosciences seeks a Scientist / Senior Scientist position candidate with strong industrial molecular biology and instrumentation background to join our applications team. The successful candidate will be responsible for methods development and execution of pilot projects. The position primarily involves hands-on laboratory work in designing, developing and optimizing application workflows for single molecule sequencing. The scientist will be working in a fast-paced environment, interacting with both internal and external scientists and field application specialists.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design, develop and optimize DNA sequencing workflows for single molecule sequencing
- Work closely with Bioinformaticians and R/D to develop end to end solutions
- Running the Sequel and Sequel II instruments
- Knowledge transfer of methodologies to field and support organizations
- Presentations to commercial and R/D teams
- Provide application training to technical experts including Field Applications Scientists and Technical Support
- Support development of technical documentation and training materials
- Generate sales collateral materials through white papers, application notes and method papers
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- M.S. or PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related field (Appropriate experience carrying out molecular biology/biochemistry experiments at the Senior Research Associate level may qualify)
- The ideal candidate will require minimal scientific guidance beyond project goals and can design/execute experiments independently
- Understanding of human genetics, particularly classes of genetic variation and their intersections with cutting edge molecular technologies
- Assay and technology development experience is highly desired
- Experience with and understanding of high throughput sequencing instruments
- Technical proficiency in general laboratory practices, biochemistry/molecular biology, including library construction and operation of robotic liquid handling equipment, next generation sequencing platforms.
- Excellent record-keeping and careful attention-to-detail
- Strong trouble-shooting abilities
- Strong familiarity with the paper publication process and associated experimental design requirements
- Ability to balance several projects and customers concurrently
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, with minimal supervision
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills
- Enjoy working closely with others as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to work under pressure
- A “can do” attitude and be flexible in a fast-paced start up environment
- Must be an intelligent individual with excellent work ethic, exceptional judgment, and unquestionable integrity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.