Senior Engineer, Dev Ops
We are searching for an organized, efficient, responsive, and self-motivated Senior Dev Ops Engineer to support our bioinformatics & software engineering teams, and to interface with IT. These teams collaboratively build & maintain a production-scale synthetic biology pipeline that generates terabytes of data per week from hundreds of scientific instruments, ultimately in service of manufacturing high-impact, renewable materials in health & nutrition, clean beauty, and flavors & fragrances. From hacking directly on DNA in the lab to full scale factory production, every aspect of our work is facilitated and accelerated by software and hardware automation. Our databases, algorithms, and web applications integrate the activities of scientists, engineers, and industrial robots to enable the rapid optimization of genetic designs and laboratory processes. The Senior Dev Ops engineer will facilitate and support the entire software development life cycle underlying these processes.
- Research new software & hardware technologies that will improve developers’ efficiency and effectiveness.
- Implement highly scalable applications generating terabytes of data each week from hundreds of scientific instruments.
- Integrate infrastructure builds with automated application deployment processes.
- Understand the full stack interoperability of the application suite and its dependencies
- Assist and participate in optimization, automation and consolidation projects of the application stack
- Integrate and enforce operational workflows to industry standard operational frameworks; ie. ITIL, Agile, etc.
- Monitor performance and capacity; troubleshoot and remedy issues as needed
- Scale application stacks from on-premise to the cloud and vice versa
- Templatize application stack topologies
- Analyze, design, evaluate, and test automation scripts and systems.
- Document procedures and runbooks
- Support software development lifecycle for a team of ~30 software engineers and bioinformaticians.
- B.S. plus 8+ years in infrastructure and/or application development; or M.S. plus 6 years of DevOps experience in a Linux environment
- 6+ years Linux administration: experience building & supporting Linux environments
- 3+ years Microsoft stack (Windows desktop, Windows Server) administration with Powershell preferred
- 4+ years working knowledge of agile methodologies including scrum
- Good knowledge of infrastructure architecture, implementation and operations
- Strong relational database experience (Postgres, MS SQL, etc)
- Working knowledge of industry leading configuration management tools and methods (Salt, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc)
- Strong knowledge of devops deployment tools
- Experience working within an ITIL, Agile, lean or other operational and lifecycle framework environments • Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services (experience with AWS and Microsoft Azure is required) • Working experience in containerization is required. Advanced skill in Docker is preferred.
- Strong experience with source control, deployment and continuous integration tools/environments including Git/Github, Jenkins, Linux package management (CI/CD)
- Experience with at least one of the following cloud platforms is required, AWS, GCP, Azure
- Experience with system integration
- Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to debug & troubleshoot
- TCP/IP and networking knowledge
- Proven ability to understand data path, flow and dependency concepts
- Demonstrated ability to provide solutions aligning to industry standard and internal corporate security principles (SecDevOps)
- Ability to collaborate with software, bioinformatics, and IT teams under tight timelines • Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
- Clear communicator, responsive, timely, accountable
- Bonus - Undergraduate degree in scientific discipline (biology, chemistry), or demonstrated interest in science or positive social impact
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.