Director of Operations
This position provides technical leadership to manufacturing, materials management, and physical plant to ensure that business needs with respect to sales, operating income and personnel development are met or exceeded. The General Manager views this position as a critical partner to drive growth to the business and ensure that business acquired is flawlessly executed.
- Initiates, directs, and oversees in collaboration with other company Directors and Managers to develop and execute the facility Operating Plan.
- Oversee activities of manufacturing and materials management staff in their day-to-day functions.
- Responsible for the direct supervision and developmental opportunities for staff including performance management.
- Develops and manages overall departmental budgets for manufacturing with input from Directors, Managers, Supervisors, Finance and Marketing Departments.
- Establishes staffing levels based on the Operating Plan volumes and efficiencies, etc.
- Participates in the establishment and maintenance of the Quality Program as defined by QSR.
- Manages the team and communicates through clear and quantifiable goals, metrics, process flow charts and facts.
- Functions as a member of the leadership team within the company strategic and tactical priorities for production.
- Communicates with other departments to facilitate a clear understanding of the customer's needs and ensures that the facility is meeting those needs.
- Meets with key suppliers to communicate the needs of the company and to develop a relationship that is mutually beneficial to the supplier and company.
- Participates in all areas of product transfer into manufacturing.
- Full understanding of facilities as related to a manufacturing plant (plant design, implementation of design, procurement of equipment, bidding process, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned.
- The Director of Operations will analyze data and metrics to evaluate staff performance, lead and encourage employees to maximize performance, and ensure a strong talent pipeline.
- He/she will collaborate with human resources to create and implement succession plans for key management and supervisors, and advance cohesion between various internal departments.
- To be successful in this role you will ensure quality of operations and customer service, inspire staff to give their all, and expand the company's footprint and strengthen their reputation. Ideal candidates are ambitious and performance-oriented with exceptional people skills.
- Must be highly technical and understand fully the requirements to succeed in Medical Device and Life Science industry.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry, Immunology or Biology. Masters degree or PhD preferred.
- Experience in cell culture, virology, fermentation and protein purification preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in all aspects of Operations including manufacturing, facilities, materials, planning and finance at manager or higher level is required.
- Previous experience in FDA regulated and ISO environment required.
- Experience in Six Sigma, Kaizen, PDSA or other proven methodologies for continual process improvements is required.
- Ideal person has a scientific background with several years of development into operational leadership.
Skills, Specialized Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience creating and managing budget for large manufacturing organization and staff.
- Strong leadership ability and experience working with multiple business units or internal clients required.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, team building, and organizational skills.
- Ability to provide both direct and indirect supervision and developmental opportunities for staff.
- Highly motivated, readily adapts to changing priorities, effectively manages own time, sets priorities for direct reports to ensure tasks, multiple projects are prioritized and completed on time.
- Ability to react quickly to understand and solve complex problems.
- Ability to read, understand and follow all company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and guidelines and ensure staff compliance.
- Must possess outstanding communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, problem solving and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational development, project management, analytical problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance and punctuality requirements.
- May be required to work outside normal business hours including evenings, weekends and emergency calls to ensure departmental goals are met.
Requirements (Physical, Mental, Environmental Demands):
- Ability to go up and down several flights of stairs throughout the work day in a multi-building facility.
- Must be able to concentrate, analyze and solve complex issues throughout the course of the work day.
- Ability to travel by air/car to other locations of compay as needed.
- Will carry cell phone to facilitate intra-department communications both during and after normal business hours.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.