Senior Director, Intellectual Property
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to improve the lives of patients with serious diseases. Our industry-leading drug discovery platform, which includes comprehensive proprietary libraries of the extracellular proteome and differentiated screening capabilities, has led to a pipeline comprising five development programs in clinical trials across multiple indications in 2019. We also have several undisclosed research programs that have the potential to yield our next wave of development-stage therapeutic biologics. And we continue to fuel this process using our proprietary screens to discover new immuno-oncology targets.
Five Prime is committed to innovation and outstanding science to develop effective new drugs for the treatment of severe diseases. We value our culture of openness, collaboration and productivity. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
Five Prime seeks an experienced patent attorney who will lead the Intellectual Property function to drive Five Prime's global patent strategy and to provide insightful counsel on IP matters. Working closely with colleagues throughout the organization, this role requires a motivated and creative self-starter that shares our commitment to bringing new therapies to cancer patients.
As a trusted advisor to the business, the Senior Director of Intellectual Property will partner with various functions throughout the company to identify opportunities to protect intellectual property and to provide patentability, freedom-to-operate and other legal opinions and risk assessments. The individual in this role will also conduct due diligence analyses and provide relevant counsel to support business development and transactional matters as needed. By providing clear guidance to scientists and senior leadership, this position will play a key role in supporting business objectives and decision-making.
The Senior Director of Intellectual Property will develop and execute strategies for protecting intellectual property related to Five Prime's late-stage research, development and clinical-stage immuno-oncology programs. The individual in this role will prepare and prosecute patent applications both as in-house counsel and through outside counsel to build and expand robust global intellectual property portfolios covering protein and antibody therapeutics. In some instances, these responsibilities will be carried out in cooperation with external partners and collaborators.
This role will require working independently and collaboratively with other members of the Legal Department to negotiate and draft agreements, including licensing and collaboration agreements, MTAs and CDAs. The individual in this role will also provide analysis and interpretation of existing agreements to effectively manage and operate within active partnerships. Other responsibilities include directing our trademark portfolio, managing publication clearance, supporting records management programs, and overseeing IP operations.
The title for this position will be commensurate with experience. Patent agents with relevant experience will also be considered.
- 9+ years of experience as patent counsel in active large molecule patent prosecution, including patent application drafting and prosecution in a pharma or biotech corporation and/or representing such clients in a law firm
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- J.D. and admission to a state bar
- An advanced degree in the biological sciences
- Significant agreement and transactional experience
- Ability to explain complex legal issues to audiences from other functions
- Strong knowledge of domestic and international laws, regulations, and practices relating to patent procurement, enforcement and defense
- Excellent judgment and ability to influence others
- Management or other relevant leadership experience
- Resilient and results-oriented
- Excellent negotiation and communication (oral and written) skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage diverse projects
- Ability to work independently and on teams, including cross-functional teams
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.