BioProcess Engineer II (Downstream)
Ready to join a team committed to developing and commercializing gene therapies for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? AveXis is advancing cutting-edge science, starting with our proprietary gene therapy for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). We are in the midst of an incredible journey and are looking for passionate individuals to join us on this important mission.
AveXis, a Novartis company, is dedicated to developing and commercializing novel treatments for patients suffering from rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Our initial product is a proprietary gene therapy approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of pediatric patients with SMA. In addition to developing a treatment for SMA, AveXis also plans to develop other novel treatments for rare neurological diseases, including Rett syndrome and a genetic form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis caused by mutations in the superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1) gene.
The BioProcess Engineer II is responsible organizing, running, sustaining, and continuously improving the manufacturing operations process at the plant/site. This individual will work on the manufacturing floor to produce product, troubleshoot equipment, help drive process improvements, error proof the process, investigate deviations, and provide ownership for specific pieces of processing equipment.
- Produce clinical and commercial material on an annual basis that meets the site's strategic objectives and is compliant with cGMPs.
- Support the product requirements to ensure that all products are produced according to plan.
- Ensure cGMP documentation is being filled out correctly, training is current and all Quality requirements are being followed.
- Participate in information requests for FDA and internal audits of the manufacturing facilities.
- Responsible for maintaining quality standards to meet cGMP requirements, CFR's, and internal company policies directly related to the manufacturing process.
- Support tech transfer of new products and processes to ensure smooth transition from process development into GMP manufacturing.
- Look for opportunities to implement operational excellence and continuous improvement.
- Partner with Quality to ensure a quality and compliant manufacturing environment.
- Assist the technical operations team to resolve any issues related to production.
- 2-4 years' experience in Biological Manufacturing environment.
- Minimum B.S degree in biochemistry, chemical engineering, bioengineering, or related technical field, or equivalent industry experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Preferred: 2-4 years of experience in biopharmaceutical based GMP manufacturing operations including direct experience in cell culture, recovery, purification, aseptic fill/finish with working knowledge of FDA regulations and GMP systems, strong technical writing ability and proven ability to effectively lead and participate on teams.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AveXis is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.