Ready to join a team committed to developing and commercializing gene therapies for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? AveXis is advancing cutting-edge science, starting with our proprietary gene therapy for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). We are in the midst of an incredible journey and are looking for passionate individuals to join us on this important mission.
AveXis, a Novartis company, is dedicated to developing and commercializing novel treatments for patients suffering from rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Our initial product is a proprietary gene therapy approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of pediatric patients with SMA. In addition to developing a treatment for SMA, AveXis also plans to develop other novel treatments for rare neurological diseases, including Rett syndrome and a genetic form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis caused by mutations in the superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1) gene.
AveXis is seeking a skilled Histology Supervisor to independently manage and contribute to the functions of the histology group. A successful candidate will build efficiency and new capabilities in all aspects of histology to contribute to the discovery of novel gene therapies.
- Directly supervise IHC team members.
- Manage histology projects and priorities across IHC team members.
- Manage companywide project requests and provide cross-functional communication for histology-related projects to Project Leaders.
- Develop and implement new assays, functionality and technology for project needs.
- Oversee sample/data organization logistics and assay/data Quality Control.
- Work hands-on in the lab to contribute to project execution.
- Process tissue for histology and imaging.
- Generate data using fluorescence microscopy, confocal microscopy, and whole slide scanners.
- Assist with writing reports to support regulatory submissions.
- Serve as technical resource, training and supervising other scientists in histology and equipment usage.
- Manage equipment maintenance and calibration.
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical or biological science and at least 5 years relevant work experience.
- Minimum 8+ years of experience in Histology.
- Demonstrated proficiency in histology and complex tissue analysis.
- Experience with histological examination of neuronal tissues, whole brain slices, and brain substructure evaluation preferred.
- Experience with floating and mounted rodent sections required. Large animal experience is preferred.
- Light and confocal microscopy experience.
- Proficiency with histological image analysis and statistical analysis, experience with image quantification tools.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AveXis is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.