Senior Engineer, Technical Services
The Sr. Engineer – Technical Services supports the technical activities associated with T-cell manufacturing across the Atara manufacturing network. This position provides on-the-floor manufacturing support to address deviations, support change control and CAPA, as well as support process monitoring, technology transfer, and manufacturing process troubleshooting as needed. Qualified candidates have demonstrated technical proficiency in cell therapy manufacturing, a strong understanding of cGMP, initiative and effective collaboration with others.
Work Location Thousand Oaks, (northwest Los Angeles), CA
Reports to Director, Technical Services
- Performs technical assessments for deviations, change controls, CAPA.
- Supports investigations of process failures.
- Provides technical expertise and participate in FMEA, HAZOP related activities to support quality by design (QBD).
- Authors, reviews and edits manufacturing documents including SOPs, batch records, specifications as necessitated by process changes.
- Reviews and edits executed batch records, validation protocols and reports to assure appropriate and complete content.
- Supports maintenance of process monitoring database and tracking and trending activities.
- Supervises and performs development and manufacturing support work both internally and externally to the manufacturing cleanroom, including process characterization studies, and process engineering and validation.
- Supports training of manufacturing staff.
- In collaboration with other development functions at Atara, assures effective transfers and start-up of new processes across Atara manufacturing network.
- Serves as a role model for Atara’s Values of patients first, innovation teamwork, community and mindset.
Travel required (up to 50%) initially to support our work with our CMO collaborator on company paid domestic travel in a 2 weeks local in Thousand Oaks and two weeks at the CMO schedule for up to 6-12 months.
- Solid communication skills (e.g., clear and concise) both verbally and in writing.
- Works well in a team-based environment; solid interpersonal and teaming skills. Good decision making with strong judgment through collaboration and consideration of others point-of-view.
- Self-motivated and able to organize tasks and time to maximize effectiveness and efficiency.
- Able to understand and interpret data/information and its practical application.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
Education and Professional Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological or engineering science, with at least 5 or more years of relevant industry experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of cell culture and cell processing principles and techniques, as well as an understanding of analytical instrumentation/methods employed for cell characterization.
- Strong understanding of GMPs and proficiency in their application in manufacturing.
- Experience technology transfers and manufacturing cell therapy products preferred.
We launched Atara Biotherapeutics in August 2012 to help patients with serious diseases and few therapeutic options. We’re named after Atara Ciechanover who suffered from cancer before passing away. We are considered a leading off-the-shelf T-cell immunotherapy company (Nasdaq ATRA) developing novel treatments for patients with cancer, autoimmune and viral diseases.
We’re proud of our team of 350+ Atarians co-located by design in South San Francisco (corporate headquarters) and Southern California (R&D and manufacturing headquarters in the northwest Los Angeles area) with a newly-established European headquarters in Zug, Switzerland. Atara also has a R&D site in the Denver, Colorado area and an office in New York City. Our Southern California hub is anchored by a new 90,000 sq. ft., state-of-the-art Atara T-Cell Operations and Manufacturing (ATOM) facility in Thousand Oaks, California.
Our mission – “Transform the lives of patients with serious medical conditions through pioneering science, teamwork and expertise.”
Visit www.atarabio.com to learn more.
Atara Bio is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and other lawful factors. In accordance with applicable law, the Company prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, expression or dysphoria, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, transgender status or any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws or because of the individual’s association with a member of a protected group or connection to an organization or group related to a protected group.
We comply with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Atara Bio in the United States.