Senior Director, Corporate Communications
The Senior Director, Corporate Communications provides the overall strategic direction and implementation of Atara’s internal and external communications across the organization, including corporate positioning, brand strategy and identity, product and launch activities, social media strategy and social responsibility. This person will partner closely with the VP of Investor Relations & Corporate Communications to ensure consistent and aligned external messages and complementary initiatives that reinforce the company’s strategy and opportunities. The role is a hand on, roll up your sleeves position with the ability to significantly impact not only corporate communications but the success of Atara.
Reports to: VP, Investor Relations & Corporate Communications
Location: South San Francisco, CA or Thousand Oaks, CA
- Develops communications that support pipeline communications strategy and activities as well as oversees product launch PR.
- Leads and builds corporate positioning and branding plans, including brand strategy and identity.
- Oversees all corporate social media activities for Atara including planning and creating content.
- In partnership with Human Resources, develops effective employee communications plans that strengthen recruitment, employee value proposition, engagement and support to advance our thriving culture.
- Advises on thought leadership strategies and creates valuable platforms to advance Atara’s external visibility.
- Serves as a key media contact; builds and maintains relationships with reporters.
- Acts as business owner for Atara’s internal and external websites, with responsibility for content, architecture and design.
- Drafts messages, presentations, executive communications, internal communications, and other media materials, as necessary.
- Works collaboratively across a variety of functions, including commercial, medical affairs, patient advocacy, clinical development, corporate development, and others to support communications goals and ensure alignment with Atara’s overall strategy.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, budget for, and evaluate the impact of all corporate communications.
- Assist in planning and organizing media activities at major medical congress. Prepare management for interviews with media and other key corporate communications interactions.
- Develop press releases, position statements and Q&A for therapeutic areas to support media relations efforts.
- Investigate innovative ways to reach patients and healthcare providers through PR activities involving media and advocacy groups, including use of social media.
- Identifies, prepares and manages issues, as necessary.
Travel Travel required (up to 20%).
- 10-15 years of integrated communications experience with a passion for building and implementing best-in-class communications practices.
- Deep understanding of global healthcare and biotechnology issues and the ability to anticipate and shape Atara’s voice in the external environment. Proven ability to break down complex scientific concepts for external audiences.
- Experience in publicly traded, commercial-stage company desired. Understanding of FDA regulations impacting communications.
- Experience in global product launches, including disease state and patient education programs.
- Proven track record of building and effectively implementing successful corporate brand initiatives.
- Strong business and financial acumen to shape company disclosures that also align with our brand and culture
- Recognizes the value of, and are passionate about, driving employee and culture initiatives.
- Issues management expertise, including high-profile, global media engagement.
- Ability to partner effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Flexibility in handling work flow in an ambiguous, time sensitive, multi-tasking environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary setting, acting as a creator and facilitator to drive fulfillment of corporate strategic goals.
- Ability to anticipate and resolve problems effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with people in diverse settings.
- Sound organizational skills.
- Possesses sense of urgency; identifies challenges and problems and takes the initiative to identify solutions.
- Motivates team members; fosters and nurtures teamwork.
- Project management skills and focus on delivery of results.
- Role model for Atara’s Values of patients first, innovation teamwork, community and mindset.
We launched Atara Biotherapeutics in August 2012 to help patients with serious diseases and few therapeutic options. We’re named after Atara Ciechanover who suffered from cancer before passing away. We are considered a leading off-the-shelf T-cell immunotherapy company (Nasdaq ATRA) developing novel treatments for patients with cancer, autoimmune and viral diseases.
We’re proud of our team of 350+ Atarians co-located by design in South San Francisco (corporate headquarters) and Southern California (R&D and manufacturing headquarters in the northwest Los Angeles area) with a newly-established European headquarters in Zug, Switzerland. Atara also has a R&D site in the Denver, Colorado area and an office in New York City. Our Southern California hub is anchored by a new 90,000 sq. ft., state-of-the-art Atara T-Cell Operations and Manufacturing (ATOM) facility in Thousand Oaks, California.
Our mission – “Transform the lives of patients with serious medical conditions through pioneering science, teamwork and expertise.”
Visit www.atarabio.com to learn more.
Atara Bio is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and other lawful factors. In accordance with applicable law, the Company prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, expression or dysphoria, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, transgender status or any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws or because of the individual’s association with a member of a protected group or connection to an organization or group related to a protected group.
We comply with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Atara Bio in the United States.