Director, Medical Program Management
The Medical Program Management (MPM) team focuses on driving performance through strategic leadership and the practice of innovation. The MPM serves as the strategic partner for the Therapeutic Area (TA) leader and serves as the primary cross-functional operational contact/liaison to assure effective communication and alignment in the Medical Affairs Teams (MATs - USMAT/GMAT) within a TA, while also enhancing integration with Development, the Brand Team (IBT/GBT), and MAT. This role is responsible coordinating, planning, tracking, and information flow from multiple organizations in support of a unified and comprehensive Therapeutic Area (TA) view. The MPM serves as Project Leader for large scale projects across Medical Affairs and often across functions (ie. Development, Commercial, HEOR).
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Strategic partner supporting TA Lead for large/complex asset programs by directly interfacing with the MAT(s), MPMs, and cross-functional partners (e.g. Commercial (IBT/GBT), Development) to ensure a program-wide view of cross-functional strategy.
- Independently drives and influences day to day activities and, with oversight, strategic deliverables to the TA MAT operations ensuring they are efficient and effective across functional boundaries including cross-functional member engagement, performance, and accountability
- Assures open communication and alignment on roles/responsibilities and deliverables for each asset supported by the TA. This includes all tactics including evidence generation, gap assessments, medical education, and other initiatives represented in the MAT.
- Collaborating with the Portfolio Program Manager and Customer Excellence, drives the holistic gap assessment process ensuring cross-functional input and area and affiliate pull through.
- In partnership with TA Lead, drives strategic planning and execution across the TA program ensuring appropriate prioritization and integration. Ensures TA program activities are actively tracked and reported across all Areas, highlighting potential delays, risks, and providing mitigation plans.
- Partners cross functionally and within Planning and Engagement to identify opportunities, challenges and operational alignment in timely data generation and works with teams to implement process improvements.
- Drives and support integrated cross-functional launch readiness to ensure effective product launches including field readiness.
- Provides strategic overlay of enterprise view, connecting the dots for the TA team to R&D / Commercial / AbbVie strategies. Helps translate information into TA team strategy and objectives.
- Drives teams to appropriately prioritize resources (people, time, budget).
- Partners to build, support, and execute TA leadership vision by being an accountable and independent leader.
- Drives positive culture and provides proactive mentorship to less experienced Medical Program Managers.
- Independently lead large scale cross-functional initiatives.
- Bachelor's Degree in a scientific or business related field is required. MBA Degree strongly preferred.
- At least 8 years of experience pharmaceutical experience. Experience should include at least 5 years of direct program management or at least 7 years of functional roles with informal program management responsibilities
- Project management certification (e.g. PMP) and/or six sigma certification strongly preferred.
- Ability to think strategically and cross-functionally across TA program to identify opportunities and make connections to advance business deliverables
- Applied knowledge of program management tools and processes (e.g. management of integration, scope, time, cost, quality, human resources, communications, risk and procurement).
- Consistently communicates to an executive level in an accurate, regular, concise and inclusive manner.
- Extensive experience with performance measurement and communication (e.g. metrics, dashboards)
- Demonstrated ability to lead without direct authority, ability to excel in a matrixed environment and independently drive to deliver on business objectives. People management experience preferred.