Scientist - Computational Biology
Fate Therapeutics is currently seeking a talented and motivated Scientist-Computational Biology professional with software development experience to join our Computational Biology team. This position offers the opportunity to participate in development and application of innovative, sophisticated computational methods and tools for data analysis; perform end-to-end data analysis, visualization, and interpretation of data from NGS platforms.
The successful candidate will integrate tools into an internal web-based platform for use by Fate scientists and will work closely with Fate’s bench-scientists to assist in the experimental design and analysis of data sets to fully characterize Fate’s novel iPSC-derived cellular therapy products and clinical patient samples from our current and future clinical trials. The successful candidate must have extensive experience working with NGS-based analysis algorithms, workflows and pipelines. Candidate must be highly proficient in programming and scripting languages such as Python and R.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Senior Manager, Computational Biology and is located in San Diego, California.
• Maintain, expand and improve Fate’s bioinformatics analysis pipelines, applications and workflows with general guidance from direct supervisor.
• Develop efficient analysis tools and web-based applications for on-going and future in-house genomic, transcriptomic, epigenomic, and genomic engineering studies.
• Play a key role in development of novel computational methods based on integrated bulk and/or single cell omics data for characterization of Fate’s iPSC differentiation protocols.
• Integrate pipelines with an internal web application for on-demand, production level, usage.
• Work closely with assay development teams to leverage computational biology and statistical analysis insights into assay optimization.
• Work with translational team to develop computational and analytical methods in support of solid tumor micro-environment characterization and identification of genomic markers driving patient’s immune therapy response.
• Provide bioinformatics support for optimization of genetic editing from bulk and single cell CRISPR assays.
• Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on latest developments in complex data analysis.
• Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
• Ph.D. degree and 2+ years working experience in a computational biology, bioinformatics, Systems Biology, bio-statistics, computer science or a related discipline or a master’s degree with 5+ years of experience in an academic or pharmaceutical/biotechnology setting.
Extensive experience in processing and analyzing NGS datasets (e.g., bulk and/or single cell RNASeq, ATAC-Seq, methyl-Seq, WES, etc.)
• Experience in application of statistical and/or machine learning methods in high-dimensional data analysis. • Programming proficiency with Python, R, and familiarity with SQL.
• Proficiency in Linux/Unix operating system environment, and familiarity with shell scripting.
• Outstanding critical thinking and independent problem-solving skills.
• Strong team orientation, with strong written and oral communication skills.
• Proficiency with Git version control and Docker environment.
• Knowledge in cancer genomics and immunology.
• Experience in developing web-based applications and databases.
• Experience with Django and web API development.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
• 100% on-site work at corporate headquarters in San Diego, CA
• Occasional evening and weekend work may be necessary
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. Additional and incidental duties related to the primary duties may be required from time to time.
For consideration send cover letter and resume.