Associate Director, CPPM Publishing
Drive development of global strategic publication plans for priority and/or complex clinical pharmacology and pharmacometric (CPPM) publications, as assigned. Oversee the execution of scientific publications (ie, clinical manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and oral presentations) that fulfill medical/scientific objectives. Provide managerial oversight to staff members, including performance assessment, training and feedback, resolution of personnel issues, and management of talent retention. Represent CPPM and assigned Publications Teams on organizational cross-functional teams, and lead/participate in department initiatives/activities that impact medical publishing practices/processes.
Key Responsibilities * Include:
Key Responsibilities * Include:
- Lead cross-functional Publications Team(s) for priority and/or complex clinical pharmacology and pharmacometric publications, as assigned. Lead team meetings/discussions and driving the development of publication strategy, incorporating input from key global stakeholders. Oversee tactical execution of publication plans (ie, clinical manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and oral presentations) that fulfill medical/scientific objectives, meeting established timelines and budgets, ensuring development of high-quality, scientifically accurate publications
- Demonstrate ability to communicate key and sensitive information to CPPM and senior leadership. Address and independently resolve, as applicable, publications-related issues . Lead/participate in department initiatives/activities that impact medical publishing practices/processes.
- Provide managerial oversight of internal staff member(s) that support multiple compounds and/or indications of a major or complex product within a therapeutic area, including oversight of work product and activities, ensuring accuracy and adherence to timelines and Publication Policy and associated Procedures.
- Represent CPPM at organizational cross-functional team meetings by actively contributing to discussions, and sharing important information with CPPM staff and colleagues. Determine resource requirements for assigned compounds, acquire headcount to meet business needs.
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of regulations, requirements, policies, and guidelines that apply to the preparation and production of scientific publications, and ensure staff understands, complies, and applies them to work products. Provide expert guidance on publishing standards, trends, and practices to global stakeholders, including AbbVie senior leadership, company-wide functional areas, and Affiliates.
- Establish, maintain, and expand business relationships with staff from functional areas collaborating on publication projects/activities. Communicate effectively across functional areas and within department to accomplish project objectives. Present information in a professional, concise, clear, and objective manner.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures. Implement systems or solutions to enhance efficiency, eliminate redundancy, reduce expenditure.
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree required. PhD, PharmD, Master's Degree preferred. Relevant professional certification/credential (eg, CMPP, AMWA) is a plus.
- 5 years of medical/scientific/clinical pharmacology publications (or related) experience required. Pharmaceutical industry or related (eg, medical communication agency) experience, and people management experience required.
- Demonstrated abilities in a leadership capacity required, and demonstrated abilities in leading cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated experience in participating in cross-functional initiatives that have advanced a group's or department's reach and influence. Ability to navigate relationships with senior management, as well as develop and deliver strategic presentations for such an audience.
- Experience developing and motivating direct reports, and addressing performance issues. Experience developing and implementing processes and projects.
- Able to maneuver through complex political situations effectively, with minimal noise, achieving win-win outcomes. Comfortable operating within "gray," with tolerance for ambiguity, reaching decisions with limited information.
- Exercises judgment in distinguishing issues needing elevation, as well as the level to which an issue should be elevated.
- Adept at distilling and packaging information for varying audiences within the organization, adapting messages and level of information.
- Manages the development of direct reports, including creation of performance assessments, goals, and growth plans. Must continually train/be compliant with all current industry requirements as they relate to publication practices.