Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering creative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and uses its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
'Main Job Purpose:
Amgen is seeking Data Engineers to help realize Amgen's Operations Data Strategy. This program will produce business insights through data science solutions. You will build upon our awarded Enterprise Data Lake to develop value added data products that span the Operations Domain (Process Development, Supply Chain, Quality, Engineering, Manufacturing). There is no more challenging data environment than Life Sciences due to the integration of scientific research, manufacturing, logistics of pharmaceutical products. Expect to make a difference in providing patients with products that meet their medical needs in a competitive landscape.
Key Activities for the Data Engineer include:
- Collaborate with Data Architects, Business SME's, and Data Scientists to architect data products and services.
- Build data products and service processes which perform data transformation, metadata extraction, workload management and error processing management.
- Implement standardized, automated operational and quality control processes to deliver accurate and timely data and reporting to meet or exceed SLAs.
- Contribute to the Exploration and understanding of new tools, and techniques and propose improvements to the data pipeline
- Integrate the operations data platform with the Data Scientist workbench, the Data Marketplace, and Analytic Tools such as Tableau, Spotfire, R, etc.
- Act as a product manager for the operations data platform backlog
- Act as a run manager, provide Run/DevOps support
Bachelor's degree and 2 years of Information Systems experience
Associate degree and 6 years of Information Systems experience
High school diploma / GED and 8 years of Information Systems experience
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 3 or more years of experience architecting and building processes that extract, process and add value to data sets from multiple source systems.
- Experiencing with data modeling and tuning of relational as well as NoSQL datastores (Oracle, Red-shift, Impala, HDFS/Hive, Athena, etc.)
- Experience working with distributed computing tools (Spark, Hive, etc.)
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, S3, Lambda
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow, etc.
- 3 or more years experience working with and leading agile development methodologies such as Sprint and Scrum
- Experience with Software engineering best-practices, including but not limited to version control (Git, TFS, Subversion, etc.), CI/CD (Jenkins, Maven, Gradle, etc.), automated unit testing, Dev Ops.
- Experience with Semantic technologies and approaches is a plus.
- Biotech / Pharma experience is a plus
- Full stack development using infrastructure cloud services (AWS preferred) and cloud-native tools and design patterns (Containers, Serverless, Docker, etc) is a plus.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission - to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.