Director, Immunology Discovery
AbbVie Immunology at our Cambridge Research Center in Boston, Massachusetts is seeking a highly skilled and dedicated individual to direct two or more established early discovery research groups to identify new drug targets using multiple drug discovery technologies across multiple therapeutic areas. The position requires experience with immune mediated pathogenic mechanisms, use of omics technologies and omics analytic techniques and use of in vitro and pre-clinical animal models for validation of drug targets. The Discovery Director will be responsible for objective evaluation and risk assessment of project directions with responsibility for proactive go/no go milestones.
- Provide a demonstrated record of independent Immunology publications as supportive documentation of scientific excellence.
- Lead several teams in support of drug discovery and will drive strategy to achieve new target identification.
- The individual will be a member of the Foundational Immunology leadership team which is primarily responsible for early discovery portfolio advancement.
- Ensure scientific excellence and use of best practices across teams.
- Shares responsibility for delivery of clinical candidates / technologies that facilitate delivery of clinical drug candidates.
- Identifies project targets and/or innovative technologies and prioritizes goals and milestones within the context of overall strategy, resource availability, competitive dynamics, and functional goals.
- Leadership responsibilities will include coordinating resources across programs, identifying and filling gaps in technology and/or capacity, sourcing and overseeing external resources, and identifying and applying new technologies.
- Manages several project leaders and approximately 20 scientists, including PhDs and Research Associates.
- When possible, is given the opportunity to autonomously lead a small segment of the business under indirect guidance of a Senior Director or VP.
- With assistance from manager, identifies high impact external opportunities including different technologies to promote target identification and works with legal and licensing and helps to negotiate external research alliances to promote new target identification.
- The Director will line manage leaders and their teams and foster scientific and professional development of staff.
- Accomplishes long term and short-term project goals in collaboration with group leaders and project team members.
- Exemplifies advanced knowledge level, perception and intuition across a broad range of scientific disciplines, especially Immunology.
- External recognition as a scientist in the area of immune mediated diseases.
- PhD or equivalent, MD PhD preferred
- 12+ years of postdoctoral, academic faculty and/or industry experience required
- Managerial experience
- Drug development experience focused on immune-mediated diseases
- Experience with direct supervision of research laboratory experiments using animal and human samples for in vitro assays
- Experience with direct supervision of research laboratory experiments using animal models of disease and PD models
- Experience with genetics and genomics analysis of human samples
- Experience with large external consortia that include public-private partnerships with academic investigators and experience with using these relationships for the identification of new drug targe ts