Group Leader, Microbiology
General Automation Lab Technologies (GALT) is an innovative, technology driven company dedicated to transforming the field of microbiology and driving discovery in microbiome research. We are developing novel, high throughput technologies that vastly increase our customers’ ability to study microbes – the single most diverse and impactful group of organisms on the planet. Our initial product, the Prospector™ System, will significantly improve the capabilities of today’s microbiome research labs to cultivate, screen, and study microbes. Study of the microbiome is opening up an entirely new understanding of the role bacteria play in our health, environment, and the products we use in everyday life. If you are passionate about solving big problems with creative solutions and enjoy working with a fast-moving and dedicated team, GALT may be the place for you.
GALT is currently seeking a Group Leader, Microbiology to i) develop novel technologies, methods and applications for high-throughput microbial cultivation and screening of samples for human microbiome analysis, and ii) lead GALT collaboration and early customer development efforts. The Group Leader, Microbiology is a key member of the GALT team, and will work seamlessly with internal and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have a combination of microbiology, molecular biology and product development experience, great interpersonal skills, and enjoys creatively solving problems.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Essential duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentorship to Microbiology team members
- Assist in developing strategy and leading execution on product development programs directed to culturing and screening of samples for human microbiome analysis.
- Developing and optimizing novel methods for GALT’s array-based platform
- Performing structured studies to quantitate and improve product performance
- Generating data to support customer adoption and use of GALT’s platform
- Supporting external collaborations and early customers
- Effectively communicating results and insights
Education and Experience:
- PhD in biological sciences with at least 5+ years of industrial experience with microbiology focus
- Experience in leading product development teams and successfully developing and executing product development roadmaps and plans.
- Substantive experience working with samples for human microbiome analysis and cultivating microbes from complex anaerobic samples is desired
- Technical training in microbiology, molecular biology, and biochemistry
- Competence in PCR, next-generation sequencing and basic understanding of microbial bioinformatics
- Excellent bench skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams while being hands-on in lab setting
- Highly motivated self-starter who enjoys working as part of a team
- Analytical, passion for problem solving and “making things work”
- Ability to think creatively
- Demonstrated independent thought and judgment in experimental design and analysis, method development and problem solving with special emphasis on product development preferred
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Team player with positive attitude and flexible hands-on approach for a small company environment
Galt is an equal opportunity employer.