Global Advocacy Relations Director - CV/Metabolic
We have world-class cross-functional staff across the globe including sales and marketing, regional medical liaisons, nurse specialists and customer account teams to ensure our discoveries go from bench to bedside.
The Global Advocacy Relations Director will develop and lead the implementation of an integrated global patient and professional association strategy involving patients and patient advocacy groups as well as professional associations; work collaboratively with external third party organizations to align on shared goals across the development life-cycle from pre-clinical to post-launch and across Amgen's CV/Metabolic product portfolio.
A key priority is to develop and solidify strategic long-term partnerships with relevant organizations and contribute to maintaining a consistent and coherent voice as part of Amgen's overarching engagement strategies with the patient and professional advocacy community.
- Lead development of and represent Amgen engagement strategies with global professional associations and patient advocacy groups on cross-functional teams.
- Act as the primary interface at Amgen for global professional societies and patient advocacy groups.
- Drive creation of advocacy strategies and plans for all programs
- Coordinate with Amgen operating affiliates worldwide for professional societies and patient advocacy group's engagement to ensure seamless global advocacy strategies.
- Collaborate with other Amgen functions to ensure coordinated engagement with professional societies and patient advocacy groups.
- Represent global advocacy strategies to functions, regions and to country teams and serve as primary professional society liaison between Product Teams, Access Teams, Clinical Development Teams, Health Economics/Outcomes Research Teams, and Corporate Affairs/Medical Communications Teams.
- Participate in development of global brand strategies.
External stakeholder responsibilities:
- Develop and drive global advocacy strategies across teams and therapy areas as it relates to new patient and professional trends including but not limited to e-business channel communication, digital/mobile technology and social media.
- Build long term, substantive relationships with global patient groups, professional associations & all other stakeholders based on values of trust, respect and transparency so that patients and providers systematically can engage decision makers in all aspects of clinical development, healthcare delivery & access.
- Support patient access to medicines by working with patient groups and professional associations to help determine the value of innovation and address access barriers.
- Facilitate Amgen educational activities for patient groups so that the voice of patients is strengthened.
- Build and engage coalitions to effectively advance advocacy initiatives amongst medical professionals and existing coalitions as well as forge strategic alliances in order to deliver a stronger, united message for patient access and affordable care.
- Bring the voice of patients and providers into Amgen's capabilities including Clinical Trial Design, Direct-to-Patient Marketing, Corporate Communications, Value and Access.
Doctorate degree and 4 years of advocacy relations experience
Master's degree and 7 years of advocacy relations experience
Bachelor's degree and 9 years of advocacy relations experience
- 10-12 years of experience with professional medical societies and patient advocacy groups, including 5-8 years working for a global pharmaceutical company as primary liaison to professional medical associations and patient advocacy groups.
- Sensitivity to diverse groups of people both internal and external with the ability to manage many different opinions and perspectives, including tolerance for ambiguity.
- Demonstrated reputation internally and externally as a well-respected, dynamic team player.
- Empathic and passionate individual with the ability to build meaningful connections with stakeholders.
- Previous experience leading the development of professional medical society and patient advocacy strategies for pharmaceutical organizations.
- Previous experience as relationship manager for professional medical associations and patient advocacy groups.
- Proven understanding of key external and internal trends affecting patient and consumer engagement; solid understanding and experience in new forms of patient/consumer interactions such as social media and patient online communities.
- Previous experience in multiple therapeutic areas is desired.
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills and an ability to adapt one's approach to a challenge, as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to assimilate complex medical knowledge and communicate to non-medical audiences.
- Experience ensuring teams execute and deliver quality programs within timelines.
- Capable of managing shifting priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Understands the pharma/biotech business model, regulatory process & compliance guidelines.
- Experience with product (drug) launches.
We understand that to successfully sustain and grow as a global enterprise and deliver for patients - we must ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission - to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.