Principal Scientist and Group Lead, Molecular Simulations
Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
Zymeworks is seeking a highly-motivated professional who is looking to grow their career with our company.
This position will report to the Vice President, Technology and will be based in Vancouver, BC.
- Plans, schedules and conducts research projects towards new computational modeling and simulation products, processes or methods for therapeutic biomolecular engineering.
- Collaborates with Software Development, Protein Engineering and Translational Research groups to prioritize development needs and manage execution of agreed development plans.
- Provides leadership and direction to the molecular simulations development and application team. Actively plans and incorporates ML and AI techniques in the computational workflow.
- Recruits, supervises and trains staff. Plans, schedules, allocates and prioritizes workload to meet operating requirements. Monitors and evaluates performance ensuring requirements are met.
- Provides scientific advice to project team members within the company. Participates in R&D planning. Prepares and presents reports to management and makes recommendations for further investigation.
- Creates, implements and improves existing systems and procedures to increase efficiencies and coordination between collaborating parties. Designs and establishes standard operating procedures and ensures adherence to best practices.
- Participates in industry activities, conferences and professional research meetings and contributes to technical journals.
- Prepares and presents results to external collaborators and manages interactions with external scientific teams.
- Maintains an awareness of new technologies, trends and developments in order to improve service and create efficiencies within the department. Keeps up-to-date with relevant professional literature and participates in seminars and training workshops as required.
- Leads evaluation and screening of externally developed tools prior to internal adoption.
- Fosters effective and collaborative working relationships with fellow employees, management and external partners.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in a relevant scientific discipline (Computational Chemistry, Biophysics or equivalent) and a minimum of 8+ years’ related experience (may include post-doctoral experience) or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience working in industrial scientific software development setting with a portion of it in a managerial role.
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Experience applying computational methods in protein modeling. Areas of knowledge include: molecular dynamics simulation, multiscale modeling methods, enhanced sampling techniques, Monte Carlo simulation, force field development, free energy computation, structure optimization, protein bioinformatics, statistical mechanics and machine learning
- Experience developing and implementing molecular modeling algorithms or numerical simulation algorithms to interrogate biomolecules.
- Proven experience applying machine learning approaches for data mining and knowledge driven protein modeling and optimization.
- Hands on experience and deep understanding of structure guided drug design and protein engineering for biologics optimization.
- Experience and understanding of antibody structure, biology and optimization would be a plus.
- Ability to lead through example and to establish an environment fostering effective and collaborative working relationships.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a high paced, fast changing environment. Results-oriented.
- Coding experience in high level language (e.g. C, C++, Java or FORTRAN).
- Coding experience in scripting language (e.g. Python, Perl or Ruby).
- Demonstrated experience leading teams of scientists on method development projects.
Why Work for Us?
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at www.zymeworks.com.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.