Director of Corporate Affairs - Cardiovascular
Amgen is seeking a Director of Corporate Affairs - Cardiovascular, based at our corporate campus located in Thousand Oaks, California. The Director will report directly to the Executive Director of Corporate Affairs - Global Commercial Operations.
Consistent with the vision of Amgen Corporate Affairs to "proactively shape, drive and enhance the Amgen brand and reputation globally," the Director of Corporate Affairs - Cardiovascular, internally known as the Director of Corporate Affairs, is responsible for driving communication strategy, planning and implementation for Amgen's Cardiovascular portfolio, with Repatha® and CV external strategy as the top priorities, in alignment with the business goals. The Incumbent will be responsible for developing the global communications strategy and working in close collaboration with regional corporate affairs and cross-functional organizational colleagues to deliver external and internal cardiovascular therapeutic area communication strategies and initiatives.
Key responsibilities of the Director of Corporate Affairs - Cardiovascular include:
- With Repatha® as the top priority, leads all external CV communication strategy and campaigns, planning and implementation in partnership with regional, R&D and executive communications corporate affairs colleagues
- Provides strategic communications counsel and planning for lead pipeline asset
- Leads internal communication materials and messages related to CV portfolio and brands
- Head's up external engagement with media and key stakeholders as appropriate
- Works on ad hoc projects based on requirements of the business
- Develops and executes external and internal global cardiovascular communication strategy and plans for Repatha®, pipeline assets and the CV therapy area in partnership and collaboration with relevant cross-functional leads, including, but not limited to marketing, advocacy, medical, legal, compliance and regulatory. Ensure all plans and projects are aligned with business goals and consistent with global and regional communication strategy
- Supports and collaborates with USBO and global Corporate Affairs leads to ensure the cascade and optimization of global plans and messaging, enhancing Amgen's reputation as a global leader in biotechnology
- Serves as strategic counsel and partner to CV leadership team
- Ensures that the delivery of all communications programs and tactical plans are in accordance with medical, legal and regulatory requirements
- Drives relevant disease state education and/or communication (long-lead top-tier and regional media)
- Manages global brand corporate affairs budget and external consultancies (where relevant) to deliver against objectives and budget
- Anticipates and effectively manages issues impacting Amgen's cardiovascular brands in partnership with regional colleagues. Serve as media relations spokesperson on the issues related to Repatha®.
- Shares and proliferates best practice across global and regional teams
- Global and Domestic travel up to 15%
Doctorate degree and 4 years of Journalism and/or Corporate Communications and/or Public Relations experience
Master's degree and 8 years of Journalism and/or Corporate Communications and/or Public Relations experience
Bachelor's degree and 10 years of Journalism and/or Corporate Communications and/or Public Relations experience
4 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Biotechnology, pharmaceutical or healthcare public relations and corporate experience
- 7+ years' experience in brand communication at the affiliate and preferably regional level
- 10+ years' experience working in-house for a multinational company or within a public relations agency serving multinationals
- Bachelor's Degree in public relations, communications or journalism or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Long-lead media / journalist experience a plus
- Strong oral and presentation skills; ability to negotiate and persuade senior leaders
- Proven experience developing/implementing strategic communication plans
- Demonstrated strategic thinker with ability to develop actionable programs that address business objectives
- Ability to think quickly, analytically and creatively to accommodate a dynamic environment
- Capacity to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal skills; enthusiastic, team player and self-starter; serious commitment to hard work and excellence
- Superior writing skills
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.