Corporate Affairs Sr Mgr
Senior Manager, Corporate Affairs, Amgen South San Francisco (ASF)
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a strong Corporate Affairs Senior Manager based at our Research site in South San Francisco. He/she will drive communication strategy and implementation, including local media relations, external communications, internal communications and philanthropy. Working in close partnership with the Vice President, Medical Sciences and site leadership team, this role will be critical in enhancing and protecting Amgen's reputation and driving staff engagement.
Responsibilities include building and implementing plans for local internal and external communications, philanthropy and community affairs for Amgen in South San Francisco. This senior manager, as a member of the ASF site leadership team, will provide communication counsel and lead efforts to raise awareness of Amgen's strategy, goals and priorities, expertise, aspiration and values both inside ASM and in the local community, as appropriate.
In collaboration with Amgen's Corporate Affairs team and ASF site leadership, the Senior Manager, Corporate Affairs will drive the internal communication strategy specific to the business needs of the site in the context of the company's overarching business priorities. The position will also be responsible for developing and executing the site's external communication strategy, with a particular emphasis on raising Amgen's profile as an employer of choice. Specific responsibilities will include the management of issues for the site, execution of the local media strategy, and executing a community affairs and philanthropy program to drive staff engagement and strengthen key relationships in local government and industry.
The Senior Manager, Corporate Affairs, Amgen South San Francisco (ASF) reports to the Executive Director, Corporate Affairs, with a dotted-line to the Vice President, Medical Sciences & Site Head.
- Build and implement plans for local internal and external communications, philanthropy/community outreach, site networking and cross-functional connectivity
- Develop and implement engagement plan to build a culture consistent with the Amgen Values to ensure staff are informed, aligned and engaged with company priorities
- Establish Amgen's community presence by building relationships and contacts with relevant local government officials and the business community in the Bay Area
- Represent Amgen in the local community
- Raise public awareness and positively influence public opinion about the site in the Bay Area in support of leadership and ongoing recruiting efforts as well as academic partnerships
- Lead site-wide Community Involvement efforts
- Execute local philanthropic program
- Support execution of Amgen Foundation programs, including the Amgen Biotech Experience
- Execute from draft creation through publish/distribution of final communication products
- Manage site communication feedback & public survey entries e.g. "Best Workplace" awards programs. Utilize the feedback from the submission to strengthen site communication and culture
- Support Employee Engagement and Diversity Councils
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Corporate Communications or Public Relations experience
Master's degree and 4 years of Corporate Communications or Public Relations experience
Bachelor's degree and 6 years of Corporate Communications or Public Relations experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of Corporate Communications or Public Relations experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Corporate Communications or Public Relations experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- Biotechnology, pharmaceutical or healthcare communications experience
- Media, government and community relations experience
- Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to truly understand business challenges and priorities and develop actionable programs that integrate soundly with business objectives
- Experience creating and executing strategic communication programs for a complex, matrixed organization
- Demonstrated proficiency working directly with executive management, including the ability to advise, influence, and coach on communication strategies around potentially sensitive issues
- Ability to interact with all levels of management and staff
- Ability to productively navigate a challenging and dynamic environment, and deal with rapidly changing priorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills; enthusiastic, team player and self-starter; serious commitment to hard work and excellence
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, ability to distill complex issues and information into simple, compelling, and relevant messages
- Change management experience
- Experience establishing two-way channels to open communication lines, create dialogue and ensure messages are reaching staff at all levels
- Demonstrated experience using social media tools for professional communication
- Crisis management experience
Amgen provides a collaborative and creative culture in a company with a strong track record of innovation. Our culture encourages open dialogue and diverse views to land on the best solutions, and we help ensure our staff are equipped to excel today and tomorrow.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical needs and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.