Semantic Technologies Engineer
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN), a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
The Semantic Technologies Engineer will be part of the Enterprise Engineering and Analytics (EEA) organization. This role is based in Thousand Oaks, CA. This role will be responsible for developing analytic solutions using semantic technologies and reference data (ontologies/taxonomies), administration and ownership of Amgen's semantic technologies platforms, development of data pipelines, automation, and development of integration of reference data platform with downstream systems.
- Work with business and client IS to develop analytic applications using semantic technologies.
- Participate in requirements and design workshops with internal business and client IS partners.
- Design and develop code, scripts and data pipelines that leverage structured and unstructured data integrated from multiple sources.
- Administer the semantic platform (MarkLogic) and reference data platform (SmartLogic Semaphore) and ensure smooth operations of the platforms, maintenance activities and incident management.
- Maintain platforms performance and capacity at optimal levels, ensure on going capacity and performance management.
- Participate in all aspects of the software life cycle using Agile development methodologies.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of industry trends and proactively identify and drive identification of opportunities to be leveraged.
- Learn, evaluate and conduct proof of concepts on new technologies as they emerge and that are pertaining to Amgen environment.
- Develop training, roadshow materials, and outreach events to increase the adoption of various solutions developed and of the platforms used.
- Master's degree & 2 years of Information Systems experience
- Bachelor's degree & 4 years of Information Systems experience
- Associate's degree & 10 years of Information Systems experience
- High school diploma / GED & 12 years of Information Systems experience
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Information Management or related field
- 3+ years of experience using MarkLogic, triple stores, NoSQL databases.
- 2+ years of hands on experience developing data pipelines using Python or similar technology.
- Hands on experience writing SQL and SPARQL queries.
- Experience using reference data platforms such as Smartlogic Semaphore or Schemalogic or Top Braid
- Good understanding of SOAP, REST, JSON.
- Experience working in a cloud-native environment using AWS or Azure or GoogleCloud.
- Familiar with taxonomy / ontology development and management. Familiar with semantic web standards such as RDF, OWL and SKOS.
- Experience implementing search-based applications and/or auto-classification systems a plus.
- Background in healthcare or life sciences a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.