Process Development Associate
ViaCyte, Inc., a leader in the emerging field of regenerative medicine, is a private, venture-capital backed company headquartered in San Diego, California, focused on profoundly improving the way patients with diabetes are treated. For more information on ViaCyte, please visit www.viacyte.com and connect with ViaCyte on Twitter and Facebook.
ViaCyte is seeking a highly motivated and talented individual to join the Process Development (PD) team in the implementation of current strategies to support clinical and commercial production of a cell-based therapy to treat diabetes. The primary activities of the PD Associate will be to perform human embryonic stem cell (hESC) expansion and differentiation experiments, and develop analytical methods to support process characterization, optimization and scale-up. Secondary activities include lab management, data entry, and support of other PD projects. This is a full-time position located in San Diego.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan cell culture activities required to grow and differentiate hESCs.
- Execute cell culture and analytical experiments under written protocols. Cell culture will be performed using multiple platforms (e.g. multi-layer cell factories, roller bottles, bioreactors, etc.). Assay methods include, but are not limited to, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), expression profiling, ELISA, and metabolite analysis.
- Document experimental procedures and results according to established guidelines. Present updates and results at internal PD team meetings.
- Support historic process data entry and trending project.
- Interact with external departments (e.g. Quality, Manufacturing)
- Perform cleaning and maintenance activities required to ensure a contamination-free environment.
- Manage laboratory supply inventory, including ordering and restocking.
- Support general laboratory and equipment maintenance as required.
BS/MS degree that included laboratory work in a Biology, Biomedical Engineering, or related field. One or more years of laboratory experience in an academic, biotechnology, or pharmaceutical setting is preferred, or equivalent work experience sufficient for successful performance of the job duties as listed above is acceptable.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and/or in a cGMP manufacturing/laboratory environment preferred.
- Must have a flexible schedule and be able to work some weekends and holidays.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to follow detailed instructions and to maintain detailed and accurate records and notes.
- Ability to successfully perform multiple tasks and changing priorities, when required.
- Skill in problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Ability to safely operate production equipment in accordance with established practices.
- Must be skilled in the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, imaging and illustrating software, and specialized applications in use in the laboratory.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Willingness to learn and contribute, with a team-oriented attitude.
- Must possess experience, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the essential duties listed in the previous section.
The ideal candidate will be technically strong and adept at managing multiple priorities. Our business moves at a rapid pace, making resourcefulness and flexibility key contributors to success. This position is not eligible for relocation.
Please apply below with a resume and cover letter attached in Word or as a PDF.
It is the policy of ViaCyte to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, ViaCyte will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
ViaCyte’s goal is to increase representation of women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities. Our programs are designed to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, directives and regulations and cover all human resource actions including employment, compensation, benefits, training, education, promotions and social/recreational programs.